Online printing query

hi

i am looking to have flyers/stickers etc. printed online, but don’t understand the technical side.

i only have photoshop elements and free corel software & can produce artwork on this software but
am i able to produce digital work on the software that is of high enough quality for online printers to use?

i read somewhere that photoshop elements isn’t good enough for online printing.

also - can anybody explain what this means -
Make sure you pre-flight your PDFs using the ‘Adobe PDF/X-1a’ preset

I am hoping to use moo.com so if anybody has any tips & advice i would really really appreciate it : - )

thanks
-x-

I’ve used my photos on Moo.com to print business cards before without using any expensive photo software (only ever use ones that come already installed on the computer, at the moment it’s Picasa) and was really pleased with them.
I’m afraid I haven’t a clue what ‘pre-flighting’ PDFs means (sounds like something you’d do at an airport :smiley:) but I’m sure someone with a more technical mind will be able to help.

1 Like

that’s great to know -thanks for this. i feel better now !

I upload my photos onto my laptop and use the basic photo editing on there for cropping, lightening etc. I get cards printed regularly through Moo, and it’s really simple. You just upload your photos, and you will get a message flash up if it’s not a good enough quality photo etc - they are really user friendly for those of us with limited technical knowledge, and there is live chat of you have any problems :smile:

1 Like

have you used digital artwork / scanned artwork ever on moo ? or do you just use for photos?
i am looking to have digital artwork made into stickers etc.

Have you used for printing digital artwork etc. ?

Personally I have no idea how to scan things, LOL! I just take photos of my paintings, that’s as technical as it gets for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi - so your cards are the uploaded photos of your art then not scanned ? I didn’t realise that. thanks for your help.

Sorry no just photographs x

thanks for the info : - )

Photoshop uses pixels to make up an image, so for printing purposes you need to have your image resolution set at 300dpi. You can check this by going to Image > Resize > Image Size. If the image is not 300dpi you can change this (make sure the Resample Image box is not checked) and increase the resolution (this will decrease the images actual physical dimensions). You can save as jpg to import into Moo.

Corel uses vectors rather than pixels, and is great for line drawings and logos. I don’t have it (I use something called Illustrator) but there should be a save as PDF option and if you have the preset required you can use that. If you don’t then check with Moo as to the way forward as I’m sure they’ll be able to help.

(Pre-flight just means files checked for print purposes before sending to printers).

1 Like

I’ve only ever used .jpg for the stuff I have designed on Moo and it has worked fine. The good thing about their design interface is that you can see what the finished product will look like and their system will let you know during the design stage if your image isn’t a high enough resolution.

2 Likes

hi - just wanted to say thanks for this - as i have just downloaded 30 day trial of adobe illustrator which i am really enjoying how to use and hope to use for producing items / flyers etc. for my shop. i see you can pay by month which is better as i have been put off by large price of software previously
thanks again : - )

1 Like