Packaging! But from where?

Hi everyone,

Can I ask, particularly those that sell framed artwork, how you post these out to your customers?

I’ve been searching for thinner/large boxes to post my A4/A3 framed prints in but I’m struggling to find them cheap enough to keep P&P at a reasonable level.

I mean does it need to be in a cardboard box or would bubble wrap and a thick postal bag keep it safe?

Has anyone else had this trouble? Any packaging suppliers you recommend?

Thanks,
Sally :slight_smile:

Have a look for A4 PIP boxes on ebay -you can get them at a reasonable price if you order in bulk or book posting poxes might work (like you get from Amazon)

Hi
Its only a thought and depends what size you need but you could ask a pizza delivery shop where thsy get theirs?.
Hope this helps
Mel

Tiny box company is good or you can go down the route of poster tubes :slight_smile:

Sometimes going to your local packaging company works, I send out framed seating plans but I have my boxes made by a local packaging company. They’re not cheap (that’s the downside) but they make them to the exact size I need as long as I order a dozen each time.

It’s worth looking at The Tiny Box Company to see if they have anything suitable. Their ethical credentials are good too, and the service is quick.

Are they mounted? Therefore do they need to be posted flat?
I have converted to art tubes. They’re solid and I don’t have to worry about them. They’re a standard price to post as well.

I use www.ascdirect.co.uk › box-builder
You can order exactly the size and style that you need in quantities from 25.

Thanks for that link - very useful

Thanks very much for the info.

It’s the framed prints I’m having trouble with really. In almost thinking to just sell prints rather than framed because it’s becoming more hassle than it’s worth.

Something to think about!

1 Like

Yep. Selling framed prints online is a total pain. Too much risk that it isn’t going to arrive in one piece.
I sell framed prints in a shop in Northumberland, and every now and then I’ll sell the odd framed one but only over social networks. I’ll put it on Facebook and say if it’s a local purchaser then I’ll hand deliver it for free so no risk to the glass. And that’s been how I’ve sold them pretty much every time.
The odd person has bought who live elsewhere in the uk so I’ve had to post. Postage has generally cost £12 and I just use parcel force. So far had no breakages. But it’s a pain wrapping it up and I obviously worry about it until it gets there.
I do a few layers of bubble wrap just to cover the glass, then I wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap twice. Then I double thickness wrap the corners of the frame. Then I use a really thick parcel paper to wrap, then I use a thick cardboard which overlaps the whole thing by an inch or so.
It takes ages and is a total pain which is why I don’t make a habit of it.
I also found if I did put framed ones on here, or Etsy or whatever they didn’t sell any better than just the unframed lino’s.

Yeah, I agree. I really think I’ll jib the frames off. Too much hassle - it really isn’t economical, and you have the added stress of the frames getting marks (easily done).

You’ve helped me make up my mind!

So how do you package your prints?

Just in tubes. I use a layer of tissue paper, lie the print on, then put another layer on top and then roll it up. Pop it in the tube with a business card and that’s it. The tubes are really solid- my husband makes surfboards and orders glass rolled on tubes so I actually use them- they are about 5/6 feet long and solid- you can’t even squash them standing on it. And I just use a super fine saw to cut them to length. Then I tape the ends up and stick a few stickers on.
They post for £4.40 generally.

1 Like