Packaging for art

My daughter sells art and wants to know what is the best way to pacage art and send it overseas. Cylindars are expensive. Gabrielle.

Having both bought art online from overseas sellers and having bought art whilst overseas and having to bring it back tubes/ cylinders are the best for larger pieces. The amount of cardboard required to stiffen packaging of an A3 piece we got in Dublin was obscene but it was the only way to stop it potentially getting folded/ bent in the middle as they didn’t have any tubes. A piece of thin ply wood might have been better.
Don’t limit your searches to cardboard tubes - the pictures we got in Yogyakarta were packaged into a piece of narrow drain pipe (ie plastic tube, we watched them cut it up with a hack saw) after they had been rolled in paper. The ends were packed with scrunched paper and the whole thing sealed with a lot of tape so it was pretty much water proof (very useful in Indonesia). Survived a couple of weeks and 5 flights in the bottom of our case without being damaged.
I’m sure the artists will have other suggestions!
Sasha

1 Like

I’d agree that it depends entirely on the size and the medium that you’ve be sending.

ACEOs are easy to post, that’s one of the many reasons I collect them :smile:

1 Like

Hi it is prints and some are original I told her the same thing. She is coming back to England next week.
I was thinking of cylindars but royal mail is expensive.
a lot of her originals are on canvas.They are a nightmare to ship I know.
Best Gabrielle.

You say Royal Mail are expensive for shipping cylinders, but you’d be surprised what international customers will happily pay if they really want something. The postage on my bird baths adds another 50% to the purchase cost but I’m selling well abroad, especially to the US. They are used to high postage costs because of the size of the country, so they know things cost money to send, I find them very realistic about that.

Jo

wow will check it out. Thank you so much for all the good advice on here. Best Gabrielle.