Paypal service upgrades

Yes I’ve had an email as well. Ishll also check with hubby when I see him tonight. Not sure what it’s all about, you never know these days which are scams and which are not.
When I checked my PayPal account according to that I haven’t had any notifications from them.

1 Like

me too I am so glad you peeps on here are on the case as I have no idea what it is about or if I need to do anything…I will wait and see what happens…I have just ignored it…can’t cope with technical jargon and with starting on windows 10 today, my poor old brain is on overload…lol

1 Like

I also have received this email, I am ignoring it for now as in the past I have had a couple of scam emails saying they were from paypal but turned out to be scams

I had this too, and what puzzled me is that I would have thought it was up to paypal to change anything technical. After all, we are the customers, we pay them to deal with this type of thing.

i had it too today. was worried it is a scam.

i read about it on another craft selling forum and some people say it is actually genuine and is for people who use paypal on their own personal websites only. (Not if u are accepting payments via folksy etsy etc.)

there is also a bit discussing it on the paypal forum.

still not sure though so haven’t clicked any links just in case.

Spoof at Paypal have confirmed it was sent by Paypal , so now we can click the links and see if it makes anymore sense once we have looked at the guide.

Dear Deborah,
Thank you for bringing this email to our attention. We can confirm that
PayPal sent this email. We apologize for any confusion this may have
caused.

I emailed PayPal this morning and they confirmed it is a phishing email, so do not open. Mine actually had my full name as well which they don’t usually. They sent me an email back to me this morning. Hmm, I won 't be opening it as I have been a victim of being hacked once before. Wonder which reply was correct. Also the sent email address was different from paypals.

This is the email i was sent this morning
Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You’re right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we’re working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you’ve made a difference!
Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click “Security Center” on any PayPal webpage.
Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
spoof@paypal.com, you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
theft.
Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
extra effort.

Hope this helps x

How strange.
I had a look at the link to the guide on mine, after I got the all clear - and it was in a very technically jargon laden way saying that we should check that the host sites we sell through have upgraded to a new system.
it didn’t ask for any personal information or login details .

hmm. I guess if it didn’t ask for your email and password it should be okay then. That’s what they use to gain access. I’ll go back into my paypal account and see if there are notifiations in there. It’s a mystery. My email was about 9 oclock this morning and it sounds like yours was much later in the day. So yours is probably correct

spoof@paypal replied to me tonight at 21.55 - I reported at about 8 this morning. So they took their time, I think they must have been inundated with queries.

I expect they were! Thanks for the info, should be okay then. Have a good evening.
Claire

Just looked into the email in more detail with hubby and hes discovered its spam, so don’t do anything just delete.
There could be a genuine upgrade out but that particular one is not from Paypal.

I got a warning from my computer protection that it was an irregular email, so I just deleted it, and didn’t click on any link. There are so many … (put your own word here) trying to con people.

I’ve received an email from spoof@paypal similar to @DeborahJonesJewellery saying it was a genuine email, I haven’t done anything else at the moment as a lot of people on here seem to think it’s more for website owners to worry about, I’m sure if there’s a problem they’ll email again.

I’ve checked it out it is genuine but have no idea what they are on about. Hopefully, despite insisting the need ’ urgent action’ from me that I can leave it to the good folks on here to deal with it.

1 Like

You can usually tell if an email is genuine by looking at the address it has come from. A scam email that says its from paypal will have an obscure email address, maybe with the word something like paypal in it to try and fool you!!
This one is from paypal@paypal.com and is genuine.

1 Like

I had the same email too, I ignored it as I assumed it would be Folksy who deal with all that stuff & to be totally honest I didn’t understand the jargon they used!

1 Like

I’m presuming this is the same email as I had. I contacted my web provider and also paypal as I knew it to be genuine, given it was directed to me as a named person. Explanation - Paypal sent this out to everyone with an account but it wasn’t relevant to everyone - only to those with their own dedicated server (those with https at the front of their address). For us small businesses with a website, we don’t have that as we’re on a shared platform and don’t have that level of security in the first place so I was told to ignore it and carry on as normal. does that make sense?

4 Likes

So am i correct in saying that this would be an issue for Folksy to deal with, as they have https before their website name??? and if so is it being dealt with by them as it is something individual shops cannot do.