I guess this is Spam

This is an email about my multicolour Afghan

I’m Olivia by name I came across your item on here,i will like to buy the item,is it ready for the immediate purchase?before i proceed with the payment i will Like to ask about the item…

1. Is the item still available for sale?

2. What is the present condition of the item?

3. Do you accept PAYPAL as your mode of payment?

4. what is the final asking price?

Kindly get back to me with your reply to my private email :

( oliviasmith0010@yahoo.com )

hope to read from you soon.

Best Regards.

2 Likes

Yup, I got it too this morning. WIll be reporting it…

Okay thanks.

Yes that’s a scam, the phrase ‘available for immediate purchase’ gave it away. It’s an old one doing the rounds again.

I can’t quite recall how they do it but you end up without the item and without the money too.

they do a charge back on paypal because they’ve used a stolen credit card to pay usually. it was on my most expensive item http://folksy.com/items/4308458-Day-Angel-finished-Cross-Stitch-Teresa-Wentzler-Fantasy-Cross-stitch

so I was suspicious anyway…

I thought it was a sale then then saw those phrases. it was my most expensive item too.

Okay so that’s why they ask about PayPal and I was suspicious because my item is expensive. Thanks for the info :smile:

oh yes the old one that’s been around for ages.

You’ll get the next email saying they are something like an oceanographer on a ship in the middle of the ocean and can they arrange a pick up with their courier or can you send it to another address.

They always use the same set of questions as it started out on ebay

The account has now been suspended!

Yes, I had one of these this morning. Initially I was excited about maybe making a sale, but then it started to ring alarm bells, so I reported it. Glad I checked the Follksy FAQs!

1 Like

If something is listed as available for sale in a shop then these additional questions are irrelevant and should start the alarm bells. I don’t mind answering general questions about an item but all they need to do to buy it is hit the buy button!

4 Likes

Hi
Thank you all so much! I am new to folksy and I received this exact email too! Was suspicious because of the questions, just didn’t seem right. Glad I checked to see if anyone else was aware of it as I was tempted to reply.
This is the second scam I have come across as a seller (not with folksy but horsemart) So cross!
Claire

This particular scam rears it’s ugly head about every couple months.
Usually the most expensive item in your shop.

Just report them to Folksy Admin and they will shut down the accounts.

Shirley x

Hello,

I also got this message and I replied via email. I didn’t think anything of it (I feel stupid now!) and I stupidly went onto to send them my Paypal details for them to make a payment. I started to feel suspicious after the last rambling email I received, about 10 minutes ago, which led me to this message board.

I will report it to Folksy but do you think I should be worried about my Paypal account?

Thanks,

Guy

change your password on there if you like, but i can’t see how they’d get access to it with your email address… they already have that because you answered them.

Yes I had this one late last night, so she has not been blocked yet. I will report again to Folksy admin

Lesley

I was told she was blocked when i reported her - is the name exactly the same? oliviasmith – that account was blocked, just checked, so she/he/they opened another account. all we can do is keep reporting them…

1 Like

Still Olivia Smith but with 3 numbers after her name!

They need to ban her by her username, email address and IP address then she’ll find it much much harder to re register. Unless she’s able to use different IP addresses.

So yes keep reporting as she/he/bot makes a new account.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes the name was Olivia Smith but the email address has 4 numbers after the name.

Best,

Guy