Pinterest - to use the Pin button or create manually?

I’ve been pinning my newly listed items using the ‘Pin’ button. But ought I to be creating the pins from within Pinterest, ‘by hand’? Pinterest Analytics seems to treat ‘created’ and ‘saved’ pins differently (ie up to now I have had to tick the ‘include saved pins’ box to see any analysis at all). Is there any other difference?

Does anyone have any insight into this?

3 Likes

Definitely make them manually then you can optimise the text for keywords etc so hopefully they’d be more discoverable.

Won’t the Listing description from Folksy be good enough? Don’t say i have to write a whole new description…

1 Like

Must admit, I tend to do mine via mobile through my photos in gallery. When I select a photo and open it, I then ‘share’ to Pinterest where I then get the option to add it to my shop and yes, I get the option to add more detail. Every now and then, I will promote an item which does divert a wider audience. Hasn’t resulted in any purchases, but I have found that my followers increase. Way back, the Pin worked on my Folksy page, but for whatever reason I always get an error!

1 Like

I do mine pinning straight from my Folksy listing to my Pinterest page. Seems to work although I always check the new pin to make sure all the information and photo looks good.

1 Like

That’s helpful, thank you. Interestingly, the newer ones I have pinned from folksy seem to be looked on by Pinterest differently from those I did a couple of years ago. Maybe either Folksy or their algorithms have changed. I’m going through to repin those old ones by hand.

2 Likes

OK, so the red Pin button seems to be ‘creating’ pins rather than ‘saving’ pins. That’s useful when I’m using it on my own listings, but not if I’m using it on other people’s listings eg in the forum threads. They appear in my /created page, rather than just on my /saved page, all muddled in with my own things…

I can make separate Sections on my /saved page, so I can separate things my things from other people’s but I can’t do that on my /created page.

Am I understanding this right?

Create your pins manually in Pinterest. The 3:2 picture ratio is looked on more favourably than the square picture. As Jessica @Loadofolbobbins mentioned you can optimise key words and add text to your images, which is picked up by the search engine. I find it’s these key words that make a difference to how much your pin gets seen. I use the opening paragraph of my Folksy description rather than writing a whole new one :rofl: and usually pin very similar pins to different boards over a month. I also usually add my logo to all my pins. In regards to saving others’ pins, they all go on a board in my personal account, and only my creations go on my business page.

2 Likes

Ahah! I’m using my business page all the time, too… plenty to think about… many thanks.

1 Like

I’m loving how your Pinterest boards look Helen x

Thank you Liz. I have taken everything off my business page except my own work, which I have Created manually, and am pinning other people’s work to my personal page. I just have to remember to switch to the right account first! Now I think the analytics on my business page will make more sense - of course all the numbers have plummetted but at least they are ‘all mine’.

1 Like

They’ll go up again soon x

1 Like

Sorry for reviving an old post! - I’ve been thinking about this pinning manually (ie uploading) vs pinning direct (ie straight from the site), and I’ve noticed when I look at Helen’s @HelenCliffordArt pins they often seem to show the price as well as the full item description (I think these are called rich pins) - so I’m guessing Helen’s pinned those direct from her Folksy shop.

And when I look at pins in Liz’s @Sewtaylormadedesigns boards (which I think going by what you said Liz, have been manually uploaded) you don’t see the price, and the description you see is what I guess Liz must have copied and pasted in when uploading it.

I have no idea if pins that are ‘rich’ vs pins that aren’t (ie manually uploaded) are any better or worse from an algorithm point of view. The only thing I can think is that if you have a really good description on your listing with lots of keywords that you can rely on for helping your pin to be found, then pinning direct is fine. But if your product description on Folksy isn’t great, then manually uploading and writing in a good description is best.

But I have no idea if Pinterest prefers one over the other?!

If I post direct from my own website (which isn’t a traditional ecommerce site), then my pins show with the product name and whatever information I put into the alt tag when I added the photo to my site - ie, they’re not rich pins.

1 Like

Hi Sarah, I can’t help this time but it’s interesting to know that the price isn’t displayed on my pins, as I’m sure when I view them I can see the price. Oh well.
I generally do cut and paste the description but will often throw in a few more key words too.

1 Like

I think in the end I went through and created all my pins manually, cutting and pasting the description, price etc. It took a bit of time, but means I have all the information there.

I didn’t come to any conclusions about which is best though.

2 Likes

No, me neither! :rofl: I work on the principle that pins of any sort are better than no pins (and that I really should pin more often)!

1 Like

Thank you so much to.learn .

Thanks struggling to learn pinterest so many thanks

Wonder if you have sales from pinterest. So much to.learn .i. very grateful for hour comment will reread x

I’m not sure if you get much (if any) direct sales from Pinterest but I think all exposure helps to raise your profile and if one of your pins get shared a lot then it probably does have a knock on effect on actual visits to your shop and therefore potential sales.