Product photography crits - put your product shots up for review!

I agree with Sasha the crumpled backgrounds in some of your pictures don’t show your work off in the way that it deserves & some of the angles of your hat pictures don’t show the work off to it’s best potential; that’s such a shame as I really love the whimsical nature of some of your designs. Still I guess that is what this forum is all about; how to take great photos to showcase our hard work & sell it to potential customers :blush:

No problem at all! I’m finding it hard to follow all the replies!! :smiley:

Yes I second that. Just goes to show that we all realise the importance of showing our wares to the best advantage!

1 Like

I think I’ve just had a eureka moment; I couldn’t work out why the silver earring wires kept showing up gold, it’s because they are reflecting the light from the overhead florescent tube (or at least that is what I think is happening). I’m going to try to re-take the photos filtering the light source from the tube and see what happens. What does anyone else think?

Debby

1 Like

bit nervous about doing this as I know my photos arent great I have shown you one that I think is ok and one that isnt!

Certainly when I’ve shot silver using a gold reflector silver can end up looking very warm (and slightly tarnished). If the light source is warm tone then it could cause a colour cast on the work which you might be able to correct it in picasa or similar. I find shooting with natural light (and only natural light) and my reflector set up works best, on over cast days I increase the exposure but I use a tripod so can cope with long shutter speeds. If you have to shoot with artificial light I’d recommend getting a daylight balance bulb.

I’m guessing that you are happy with the easter one and not the elegant lady… The verticals on the lady aren’t vertical - I think picasa has a custom rotate option or my camera has guide lines on the screen so when I’m shooting i can line these up with something that is vertical in the subject - maybe yours has the same. The lady has a colour cast and needs to be generally brighter - there is a bright spot so I’m guessing you used a lamp to illuminate it - a couple of lamps with daylight balanced bulbs would help solve that or shooting on a bright day in natural light (we are getting more of those now…). Having some directonality to the light is causing shadows helping making it look 3D which is good.
hope that helps.

Well I went back and I re photographed my bunny bracelet.
They look abit better.
I’ll have to make something better to take the pictures
What do you think
https://folksy.com/items/6635020-bunny-button-charm-bracelet-

For some reason my old pictures are still showing when it first appears. But when you go into it My new photos are there.
Last time this happened it took awhile about 24hrs for them to change

I like this version best @StephanieGuy but if you could find some wood the colour of the other without the lines that would be better still.

1 Like

Just a thought Hazel, is it possible to offer your customer the choice of with frame or without frame? Since you already have a frame in your photo, why not remove the chance of misunderstanding.

Thank you for the suggestion Rose. I do on occasion meantion in my promoting in facebook, Twitter etc and in some of my listings that I could supply the frame but as I only have a couple of frames and lots of paintings !!! it could in fact course more issues if I sell several in a short space of time. Plus it increases the cost, not just the frame but the packaging and postal costs. The frame I show here is relatively inexpensive it’s an A4 frame - sometimes referred to as a certificate frame and readily available at The Range and Wilko (and lots of other places too lol).

Definitely better but you need a diffuser over your light source (will reduce the glare from the silver on the right hand side of the picture) and a reflector to bounce light back into the left hand side to reduce the shadows.
Keep at it.

Thankyoufor your help. I’m going to build something better to take my pictures.
At the moment I’m using white card by my kitchen window so it’s light.

How about putting an inset close-up picture of the jewellery in one corner so that the detail can be seen ? Shells are natural and most items work with them, but here it is not so effective.What about cutting out a simple heart-shaped bit of black felt, or coloured felt, and putting the earrings on that ? It sends more of the ‘message’ to the viewer, but you could try other shapes too.

1 Like

Great contrast and lighting. To see more of the detail on the pendants, you might consider an inset close-up picture of them in one corner. I did that once with an old antique watch.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I have to confess to struggling with natural light as I work full time & often have to work at weekends too. Still at least the days are getting longer now. I will try to carry your suggestions. I’ve got adobe photoshop but still have an awful lot to learn about using it. I will try to take some earring shots in my upstairs bathroom as it’s north facing which elsewhere I’ve read on these threads is best & I’ll try your silver foil tips that I’ve seen on this forum. Thank you so much for all your help. I truly have so much to learn but feel I have learnt so much already since speaking with everyone on these forums. Debs xx

Did you go into dashboard, manage orders, and re-list? That’s what I needed to do to get mine to show in the end xx

I can’t afford to relist all the things I have changed the pictures of.
I haven’t got a plus account.
I’ll be resisting afew bits next month.
Wish I could get a plus account but I just don’t have a one off payment of 45quid

I think north facing is recommended as it gives a flat even light if you have enough windows to get the light in. I tried it but it never worked for me - I used to get a bluey colour cast and struggled to get the shots bright enough. I now shoot on my coffee table in front of a south facing window - when its bright I need to use the diffuser but I can still take photos on overcast days and generally I get better results (I think). I’m working on my staging now as my photos can come out a little bland and maybe once I’ve cracked that I’ll go back and retake some of the older shots in my shop. Show us the results from your north facing experiments and we’ll let you know which we prefer. (ps in case you don’t know the clocks go forward tonight so you’ll have more time tomorrow evening to take photos!)

I think I need some advice on photos on a listing too…

I am puzzled about a product’s photos. I didn’t quite plan to make this, it came about ‘by accident’. I was trying to make something else and it didn’t come out right. Then I continued and added some things…I didn’t want to put it aside as I ended up spending a bit of time making it. I decided to list it, but I don’t know about the photos now. What do you think? Any ideas?

This is the listing: https://folksy.com/items/6611704--New-mom-quirky-gift-Diaper-bag-charm-Baby-shower-decor-