Really poor reach/no sales

@Amberlilly - all were US sellers - one jewellery, one crocheted/knitted things and the other wood crafts. They have lots of teams and discussions and all seem to mention how quiet things have got recently regardless of whether they are in the UK or the US.

sticking my twoā€™penworth in!

Try and use all 15 tags.

On the tags for the first blue bunting in your shop I would have added - blue gingham bunting, blue star bunting, blue stripe bunting, baby boy bunting, blue fabric bunting, new baby gift, nursery decoration, crocheted owl, etc

For the pink/grey crocheted hat (which is really cute) I would have added - pink crocheted hat, hand crocheted hat, pink hat, baby girl hat, baby girl gift, grey crocheted flower etc.

I find my views increase if I use twitter (with current trending craft hashtags) and pinterest.

It is quiet at the moment but should start moving from Sept onwards. Iā€™ve just had the quietest June in the three years of running my business full time.

Do people not find it anoying though when you put something into a search and then things appear that seem to have no relevance or link to what you searched for? Encouraging us to use tags that are only tenuously linked to our products could be detrimental in the long run.

I struggle to find 15 ways to describe yarn to be honest.

1 Like

I sometimes struggle to use all 15, but get there in the end! And maybe donā€™t just use yarn, but maybe handknitted?

Thanks I have now put in 15 tags on each item.With your help I think I am getting the hang of it now.
Olive

Handspun, hand dyed, the colours, the weight, and other random words, but the yarn itself is not ā€œhandknittedā€ so I would be reluctant to say that it was.

Iā€™ve got 15 tags on some of my yarns, but only through very tenuous associations that personally would anoy me if I search for those terms and found yarn in amongst the results (or vice versa).

I do this as my day job, but with educational courses. Feedback from our users suggests strongly that they want relevant results, not ā€œsounds a bit like thisā€ results. But perhaps Folksy users are different.

But you could use ā€˜hand knittingā€™ - and what might you use the yarn for - ā€˜knittingā€™ ā€˜crochetā€™ ā€™ weavingā€™? I think those would be relevant.

2 Likes

you donā€™t have to use all the tags so donā€™t have to think up 15- but i agree with helen that you could use the tags for what the product is going to be used for not just the product itself:

knitting,
scarf-making etc.

And then also terms such as:

yarn stockists
yarn suppliers,

People who need yarn may use these terms like these to find it.

Hi all, Iā€™ve been back with Folksy for a few months now but no sales :frowning: I wondered if some of you would mind having a look at my shop and gib=ving me some opinions, maybe Iā€™m going wrong some where ?? Help!!! @Poppykins

hi @Poppykins - this time of year is very quiet so donā€™t panic just yet. A couple of thingsā€¦ could you sell the cushions without the pads? Iā€™m assuming that they are standard sized so people could go to the high street and buy them rather than having to pay Ā£5 shipping which might put them off. Could you borrow someoneā€™s neutral coloured sofa/ living room to do a photo shoot of the cushions? (remembering to crop the main photo to square as thats what folksy does in search results) It might help people envisage what the cushions would look like in their lounge. Tags - when in doubt add more. I did a search for retro cushions (you had some titled that so it seemed like a good place to start) the retro funk cushions came near the top of the search but the retro cushions were much lower down - they donā€™t have cushion as a (single word) tag. I think you could also have floral, bold, vibrant as tags for those cushions. And finally - google searches the titles and first few sentences so make sure you put the description of the item before the details about how its made and someone told me to describe it as if to a blind person so that would be ā€˜a bold patchwork cushion in white and retro cotton fabric with a flower motif in shades of orange, brown and mustardā€™. That description includes info about lettering even though there is no lettering on the cushion so Iā€™m guessing a cut and paste job from another listing - google spots repeated info and tends to file it as spam so you need to make your listings unique to each other (even when its the same item on other selling platforms).
I love the scrappy patchwork quilt (but my sister makes mine for me Iā€™m afraid)
Hope thatā€™s helpful in some way
Sasha

1 Like

Hi Samantha,

Everything in your shop is beautiful, the only thing I would say is you may need more items for potential customers to view. I appreciate your products must take some time to create but could you introduce some smaller items such as mobile phone cases etc. I do think customers prefer to see a fairly well stocked shop.

Dawn

Thank you Sasha and Dawn,

Its always helpful to get other ppls feedback, you stop seeing thing when you look at it constantly. I have been taken new photos of products and have more to list so maybe that will help and I will go through and adjust the first sentences as you suggested Sasha. Thanks :grinning:

2 Likes

Well the thread has helped me a little bit I still keep liking other peopleā€™s work but have no likes of my jewellery in response and no extra salesā€¦ Iā€™ll keep liking and hope other people are kind enough to return the favour x

1 Like

Hi Natalie @steamstress I know we have already liked each others work on Facebook, but I have also now pinned your Lucky Birdy Necklace on my Pinterest Folksy Finds board ā€¦ I hope this helps you :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Natalie @Isparkle
I havenā€™t seen you about before had a nosey and liked and pinned afew of your items.
Love the cufflinks.

1 Like

Hi All,
Why donā€™t you come and join us on one of the promotion threads. It will boost your views and help get your work seen by buyers :smile:

Donna x

Hi Kim, I am here as well, hearing your echo and my own as well and 1000 other poor souls who sells brealy anything, but fingers crossed and maybe we should all look at this as preparation time for the mad rush before Christmas:)

1 Like

i love your cufflinks as well:)

I would definitely recommend the daily listing challenge.
You get to have a chat as well as helping to promote each other.

1 Like

Thank you so much , I liked you on Facebook as well ā€¦ Lovely items xx