Recycled and Ethical Makes

Thank you @aquilacrafts!

It’s amazing what can be made from vintage clothes and remnants, isn’t it :smile:

Sam x

1 Like

Hi @folksycontent! Did you see the documentary on the BBC “Fashion’s Dirty Secrets?” last night. I think that repurposed and recycled fabric is going to be a really hot topic this week and it would be great if some of the items on this thread could be in the Eco Friendly Gift Guide and or on the front page. There seems to be quite a lot of re-purposed fabric on Folksy itself but it is not currently being showcased that much.

Thanks,

Sam x

4 Likes

Also, un-dyed British Wool is looking particularly angelic, at this juncture!

Sam x

2 Likes

Since I’m about to pop to the post office with a folksy order for a bit of fordite I’ll give it a mention here as well. The ‘stones’ in these earrings are many layers of car paint that built up in the old spray booths - most of it was scrapped as waste but some gets repurposed as it really is rather beautiful. This fordite is from a Dodge factory in 1970 or 1971 (they only did the dark yellow for those years).

10 Likes

Pretty needle case with appliqued embroidered flowers from a damaged vintage tablecloth.

2 Likes

A little zip up bag made from a scrap of old tablecloth

2 Likes

Everything in my shop features recycled vintage fabric as it’s main decorative element.

This lampshade features circa 50s barkcloth fabic, previously a curtain

These brooches are made from my tiny fabric remnants and the cards they are mounted on are from my lampshade offcuts

And all my mice are made from vintage fabrics too - usually recycled curtains!

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
I only recently signed up with Folksy to share some of my arts/crafts and I am blown away by the fantastic products on this site. :smile:
Having just recently signed into the Folksy Forum I noticed this post and wanted to respond.
I think it’s great to see so many people recycling and crafting new pieces, there is so much that can be done with just a bit of imagination.
I thought I would share an image from my collection, since I have been crafting using paper mache pulp.
One of my Nature Inspired pendants; ‘Barn Owl’

4 Likes

Hi everyone, it’s me again.
Really sorry but I attached my image and it came out huge! I didn’t realise I had to resize it. I am completely new to this so I hope I haven’t caused a problem on the page. If anyone can tell me how to resize I will edit it.

1 Like

If you copy and paste the link to the item in your shop on a separate line of text, then you will get a small picture and a brief description in a little box. I think that may be what you are after :wink:

Sam x

Love the mice!

Sam x

1 Like

Thanks I’ve been making those for quite a few years now, they have traveled to USA, Japan,Australia, and all over Europe

1 Like

Tote bags have been eithically produced.

1 Like

I make landscapes out of upcycled fabric, which would otherwise go into landfill. I have lots of people collecting scraps for me and other bits like the ribbons out of the inside shoulders of clothes. Hope this counts!

3 Likes

This fabric was in a brown paper bag in the charity shop labelled “Quality remnants”. When I peeked inside it was old lengths of this pretty Liberty fabric left over when someone had chopped off their curtains to shorten them. It scrubbed up nicely.

3 Likes

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the advice, i will try it out, although I will probably wait until I post again on the forums.

Maria :blush:

1 Like

Another needle case using pieces of vintage embroidered fabric from an old and worn tablecloth…

2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like

I’m hoping people will like the chance to cut down on waste with this reusable gift bag made from recycled vintage curtains.

2 Likes