Green and Eco Folks(y)

Just wondered if there were other sellers who were interested in or produced items that were considered green/eco friendly? I would include ‘ethical’ but since Folksy is made up mostly of sole traders who produce their own products I suppose Folksy is almost 100% ethically made sellers!

Thought this could be a thread for sharing your items if they fit that description (although I’m possibly in the wrong category for that!) or for sharing interesting articles etc about green issues!

2 Likes

A lot of what I produce is from saved fabric’s, such as vintage buttons, materials, waste card, paper, recycled card and my own recycled handmade paper which I made from all that glossary junk mail that gets shoved through my front door…

A lot of my packing materials for the outside of packaging ie are bubble mailers I’ve recycled in fact I’ve just saved a load more by covering them in used gift wrapping. So now they are pretty clean and stronger what with the extra layer and the pva glue.

All my journals have at least part of their make up from card and paper I’ve re purposed in some way or other. Their covers are made from cardboard boxes with layers of paper mache paper and glue before they are painted.

1 Like

I use green / eco friendly materials very often. Almost all of my knitwear is made of natural materials: wool, silk, cotton. Sometimes I use acrylic if I’m very attracted to the texture and colors or when it is the best material for a particular product. And because it’s suitable for those allergic to animal fibres. But most of my work is from natural materials.

1 Like

I make crocheted cotton shopping bags that can go everywhere with you as they fold up small. So, I know they don’t provide free bags at checkouts any more but the amount of people I still see using plastic bags and paying for them astonishes me! Unfortunately I am unable to use wool a lot in my products as I am allergic to it, but I do love using cotton.

2 Likes

Most of my crocheted pendants are made with vintage crochet cotton.

2 Likes

Hi, yes I’m trying hard to source ethical and fair-trade materials for my jewellery and it’s not alway’s easy to find the source of products! My goal is to to be 100% ethical.

2 Likes