Santa vs Father Christmas

I have nothing against overseas but I do try to keep things as British as possible when I do my write ups for listings, especially Xmas listings. So Im torn between writings Santa(which is shorter and quicker to write) but it makes me think of the USA, verses writing Father Christmas(which is longer)but has a UK feel to it.
Am I being lazy or/and pernickity?
What do you do?

Personally I prefer Father Christmas but use Santa in my listings as it’s searched for more
Donna x

1 Like

When talking to people I always use Father Christmas but for selling I would use both.

I would use both terms in the listing / title. It’s good to keep things British, but what if a customer cannot find you with the British term? Or if you have a very British product, then use the British terms. It adds to the ‘buying from abroad’ experience :smile:

1 Like

I remember fondly (some years ago) a very entertaining discussion on the Forum about the term “Chrimbo”, which some people seemed to be using. Fortunately it seems to have fallen into disuse! I don’t mind Father Christmas or Santa Claus…

I always use Father Christmas with my kids but I wonder which would get searched for more?

If you have room, throw them all into the mix:

Father Christmas
Santa
Santa Clause
Pere Noel
Papa Noel
Saint Nicholas

And in Bulgaria, he is Grandfather Christmas!

I would try to use both in listings to cover all the bases but I think Santa is more widely used here in Scotland x

Eta I was intrigued so looked it up. Apparently Santa Claus is from Saint Nicholas and Father Christmas is from a character found in old English plays (though he dressed in green & Coca Cola made him red). Not sure if that’s all actually true but I thought it was interesting!

@Fantoosh I always thought that it was Coke that made him red for an advert, but I found out this year that although Father Christmas used to wear green St Nicholas always wore red and over the years they have been smooshed together until we have one red coated Santa Clause :santa:

2 Likes

I’d use both in the listing, you might be found easier in searches.

It was St. Nicholas’ Day on Saturday (6th) - so my husband spent the afternoon being St. Nic for the kids at our church and explaining to them why we hang up stockings :smiley:

2 Likes

Some say that He was actually a She - the Norse winter Goddess Holda, famouse for shaking out her quilts when it snows, and stealing babies. To placate her, the good country folk would leave out milk and bread for her over night.

3 Likes