SCAM warning - wholesale orders

I don’t know of this scam happening on here but having been warned about it via the dark side I thought best to share. It seems to involve people buying wholesale quantites of goods (in this case wrapping paper) for shipping overseas and then insisting that you use their suggested shipping company to avoid the usual expensive shipping rates on large quantites. They then over pay on the shipping asking you to refund any excess but the money they send never clears into your account leaving you out of pocket and without goods if you have sent it. (Its a varient of the oceanographer scam which I’m sure many of you have heard of.)
So if someone contacts you about wholesale orders tread carefully - it might be your lucky day but it is worth asking them for their website/ shop details to check that they are legit and the sort of person who might realistically be buying wholesale amounts.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up… it’s always good to be reminded about such scams. x

Thanks Sasha for the heads up.

Thanks for reminding us all.

This is a common over paying scam. I got it when I sold one of my cars.

They always send more than is required and ask you to refund the difference to their collection agent.

So they end up with your item for free and extra money out of your account.

Thanks for the warning Sasha.

I got a similar request by email last year around Xmas time. I’m not 100% sure it was a scam, but when the man said something about using their own shipping company to pick up the goods from me, I told him I won’t be able to finish the order on time. Better to be safe than sorry!

That would have had alarm bells ringing for me as well - anything that makes you uneasy is best avoided.