Seam binding

Which is the real seam binding?
Iv been lead to believe by craft channels that seam binding is silky ribbon available in many different colours, but Ive been into 2 sewing shops and asked for seam binding and they are like very thick ribbon.
Which one is real? Im after the silky stuff. My usual ebay supplier doesn’t sell it anymore.

Do you mean bias binding?
If so you can get it in a satin finish.

I think to you are referring to bias binding and it comes in many different types cotton, polyester, satin, silk each is a different price.

It also comes in different widths.

It comes in plan colours and in floral, or checked and striped prints. Some even have embroidery on them.

You simply choose which works best for each individual project…

I think of seam binding as a flat shiny ribbon/tape about 0.5"/12mm wide - I’m pretty sure I have some leftovers stashed away somewhere.
Bias binding is different, cut on the bias so it stretches and is usually folded.

I had a search and found this
http://www.craftyribbons.com/shop_seam_binding-355.aspx
I had no idea it came in so many gorgeous colours!

1 Like

I’ve only bought it once (it came up on ebay when I searched for coral pink ribbon) and it was like very fine ribbon definitely not thick.

Its defo seam binding Im after. Thanks @HelenSmith that looks like the right stuff.

1 Like

I wish I’d known about this page last year, I needed to make a Wedding card with a coral pink theme and had a tricky job finding ribbon/embellishments to use, I’ve bookmarked it for future reference :slight_smile:

With my ffflowers hat on I end up with all sorts of leftover scraps of ribbon in wedding-y colours - including coral pink - feel free to message me if you’re ever looking for a particular colour you think I might have, I’d happily stick some in an envelope for you.

1 Like