Folksy Ltd

Signs you are getting old

(Grimm Exhibition) #1

My pal, the same age as me, is off to see The Libertines …and I just had a cup of Ovaltine whilst wearing slippers!
Im 39.
Help.
What do you find yourself doing that makes you think you are old before your time?

(Diane Burton) #2

Going to bed before Midnight on New Years Eve or leaving a party because it’s getting too noisy/rowdy, I used to stay up well into the wee hours on New Years Eve but now I usually fall asleep only to be woken by the midnight fireworks.

(Susannah Ayre) #3

I’m 26 and I fall asleep before midnight on new years eve usually!! haha I don’t consider myself a big partier though! haha
But then, I’m the sort of person who’s happy going to bed at 9:30 just to lie and read for an hour or two.

I am however a morning person - I can happily get up at 7am on a Saturday morning and not think twice…possibly aided by the fact that I rarely drink, and when I do I only have a few, so never have hangovers to contend with. haha

I would rather be a morning person than a night person anyway- nothing to do at night!! Can’t really go for a lovely walk and admire the scenery at night.

Is it getting old?? or is it just being a happy relaxed introvert? haha

(Eileens Craft Studio) #4

Only wearing my heels for special occasions instead of every day.

Being stiff after sleeping on the floor when camping and my younger husband saying, " I warned you, you’re 50 now, what do you expect" :open_mouth:

(Margaret Jackson) #5

I’m very lucky, I seem to have survived to the ripe old age of 51 without being troubled too much by the ravages of age. In fact, there are advantages! I used to suffer terribly with my eye muscles and could hardly use my eyes after a days work I was in so much pain with them. Now I’m older, those muscles have weakened, with the result that I can use them all day and all evening and very rarely get eye ache any more. That’s made a massive difference to the enjoyment of life. There’s the joys of being post menopausal too, I feel a bit sorry now for those who haven’t reached this stage yet and are still suffering the horrors of hormonal troubles. I don’t need as much sleep, which is great as I can fit more into the day and I seem to have more energy and masses more confidence that I used to have. If this is middle age all I can say is it’s the best time of my life so far! :slight_smile:

(Liz Clark) #6

When I saw my 10yr old daughters’ new teacher and I felt I could’ve been his mum :frowning: I’m (only) 44 but right at that point I felt beyond middle aged!

(Eileens Craft Studio) #7

oh finding I can’t read my screen with my glasses on or off or with my reading glasses in the evenings. Like now I’ve had to move my glasses further down my nose and look through the lens to read my screen. I’m getting a lot of eye pain as well.

(Kim Blythe) #8

Needing a nap in the afternoon…
Despite being 56 I am still pre- menopausal, and don’t sleep well at night

Kim
x

(Brenda Cumming) #9

I have fallen into the trap of telling people my age and waiting for them to say “good grief you don’t look 67 !”

(Bojanglies) #10

there’s a good reason for that! Reading glasses are designed for use about 30cm from your eyes. your computer is further away, so you need a different prescription!

(Liz Dyson) #11

Yes, I have three separate prescriptions - one for every day, one for reading and one for using with the PC. I like getting older. I’m 48 and have been through quite a lot in my life, but I think I’m a better person at 48 than I was a 28. Bring it on!

Liz
x

(Eileens Craft Studio) #12

This is what is happening to me. I will have to have a third pair for my laptop.

I only use my reading glasses to read when the light is bad otherwise I just take off my normal glasses to read.

(Bojanglies) #13

you could try varifocals, but not all of them are great for pc work.
Or you could try occupational, or enhanced readers.
they have a big reading area, big intermediate area, and some have a tiny distance portion. so they’re good for close work/office work/ crafty stuff! but no good for driving…

I shall take my work hat off now!

(Eileens Craft Studio) #14

I’d not want to wear bifocials or varifocials myself

(Sams Gemstone Jewellery) #15

You know you are getting old when you ask your friends 8 year old if it easier to see the blackboard now he has glasses and replies in a sneering voice, blackboard, we don’t have them anymore !!!

(Diane Burton) #16

I sympathise with that one I recently saw a piece on the news (I think it was politics so I was only half listening) and found myself thinking that the reporter looked about the same age as my 13 year old son, worryingly one of my daughter’s friends has just started her final year to train as a teacher so I am just about old enough to have a child who is a qualified teacher!

(Grimm Exhibition) #17

@teabreaks I have started to find myself saying “Im nearly 40!” expecting a round of applause or something like that, like its an achievment.
Ive found i cant wear high heels without them being very painful, actually not even high heels, just low heels are a pain.

(Bojanglies) #18

@EileensCraftStudio
have you had a bad experience in the past?
I love mine - I was reluctant at first. I get on with them much better than my bifocals (but I was lazy, and they didn’t react to the sun, so never wore them!)

(Eileens Craft Studio) #19

Yep tried them and fall down stairs due to them which is also what happened to my friend.

I don’t like having to constantly try to find the bit I need It think they are extremely dangerous. I would never advise anyone to buy them. Also if an car insurance company find out you had an car accident when driving in them it can null and void your car insurance.

(Claire Davis) #20

I’m only 33 but am finding it noticably more difficult to get up if I’ve been sat on the floor with the children - I don’t know how they spring about so easily! And I’ve started finding that it takes a while for my eyes to focus on something far away if I’ve been doing close work - crochet, reading etc. Keep finding grey hairs too, but just pull them out as they stick up at weird angles - one day I will have a whole head of frizzy grey hair - or I’ll be bald from pulling them all out!