Silver Plated strong curb chain loose

Help… my ebay supplier of the silver plated curb chain I always buy is 'on holiday;. Was until 29th May … now showing 2nd June so getting worried as I am sooooooo busy making my suppkies are dwindling.
Took AGES to find this supplier after last one stopped selling the size I need.

Needs to be 4mm-4,5mm x 5.5mm-6mm… Smaller than 4mm and I can’t fit my split rings through it… bigger than 6mm it looks untidy…
And it must be stroing, unbreakable by hand… I use wire cutters to cut it… I have bought dreadful stuff in the past when looking for the right thing… that I can break with my little finger.
Any suggestions as to who might have some… I’ve been googling but failed so far.

Have you tried Cooks and Gold?

Try The Silver Corporation

Others to try are Kernowcraft or International Craft.

If you don’t mind me asking, who is your supplier on eBay? I may take a look myself at their chains once they’re off holiday.

I’ve got this from International craft (part number 1017.cm.sp) which I think fits your size requirements and you need wire cutters to break it. (the links have a 4mm external width I’m not sure if the internal width would be big enough due to thickness of metal)

I’m not using it any more (there’s about 3 1/2m left) if you’re interested.

Thanks all… Sasha I just ordered a couple of lengths of the one you link. The links are a little long but apart from that it should do fine. Thanks very much.

i normally get this :slight_smile:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-Strong-Curb-Chain-Black-Gold-Silver-Plated-6mm-x-4-5mm-Jewellery-Finding/280849548009?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=580081149018&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 and will hopefully get more again soon…

2 Likes

Sasha wanted to say thanks again. Chain arrived by return and is excellent. Only slightly bigger links than my normal so if I can manage to get that again I can use this for heavier pieces.

Wanted to ask an opinion. I had also bought some from Ebay

to try and that arrived today.
I can break it Very easily with my fingers and my fingers are arthritic… I cannot see what use it could possibly be. If used as a necklace if you caught it on something it would break… saves strangling yourself I suppose.
I told the seller I was going to return it and as you can see he has suggested he just refunds me 50% instead so I will do that… but I just wonder why anyone would want to buy chain which is so easily broken (it actually looks quite strong).

> I have noticed you have created a return, not sure what you was aiming to use the chain for, but it clearly does say it’s open link chain, which means it’s not going to be the strongest change, if you require stronger chain you would require closed link chain. This chain you purchased is just really for making costume necklaces/jewellery.

Good to hear the international craft chain is an acceptable stand in for your normal one. (I used it for charm bracelets so know its a strong one)
If you were making jewellery for kids then you may want that breakability to stop them injuring themselves I suppose. Or maybe if you were making costumes (I used to live with a goth and its his outfits that I’m thinking of) where you want the look of a heavy duty chain but you want it to break if it gets snagged rather than damage the outfit this might work. I’m rather grasping at straws as I’m like you and when I get a chain I give it a tug test to see if its going to break or deform.

1 Like