Smarties just don't taste of anything much anymore!

I’m sat here wondering why I’m wasting calories on these little discs of tastelessness!!

I’ve noticed that lots of chocolates don’t have any discernable flavour anymore. Even the different layers in Double Deckers just taste all the same to me now.

Meh :frowning:

At least I have some Hotel Chocolat to look forward to!

What’s your favourite chocolate?

1 Like

Since they took away the artificial colour from Smarties I havnt bothered with them. Only the orange ones had any taste for me anyway.
Have to admit to liking minty chocolate but happy with any really. Currently eating my own body weight in Quality Streets.

1 Like

I used to be a Lindt fan for years, but it just doesn’t taste the same these days.

Now Hotel Chocolate Yummmm. I must have been a good girl this year, as Santa left me a large box, all to myself. I did well not to eat them in one day.

And what have they done to Cadbury’s roses?? They used to be my favourite!

2 Likes

They’ve changed the chocolate. Kit Kats (which have the same chocolate) also taste different. Don’t get me started on Cadbury’s either :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::exploding_head:

Sam x

1 Like

I could add that since they changed Cadbury’s, I don’t have a favourite any more. I’ve also lost half a stone.

Sam x

3 Likes

Kit Kats used to be my joint favourite little snack alongside jaffa cakes but I can’t stand them now and don’t buy them at all. Ditto, most Cadbury’s chocolates now too (especially cream eggs). I do still eat Freddo’s and dairy milk based things as supposedly they haven’t changed the formula of those.

Most of my family have converted to Galaxy now!

I have always found Lindt a bit overrated and tasteless.
Most chocolates just taste of sugar now.

But as penance for my moaning about Smarties - I had the worst heartburn of my life last night! lol

2 Likes

I find Galaxy slimy (too much palm oil) and not chocolaty enough. This is the problem with being picky!!!

Sam x

1 Like

On the Cadbury’s front - I always thought it was over-rated anyway. I’ve always preferred Galaxy. I was absolutely gutted when they stopped putting Galaxy truffles in the Celebrations!! They were amazing! :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

I never used to be picky- give me any chocolate and I would eat it. I don’t know how they’ve managed it but the manufacturers have possibly cured me of my chocolate addiction after all these years by changing their formulas to almost inedible!
I find the Cadbury chocolate has an almost bitter aftertaste now and not bitter in a good way like dark chocolate but bitter in a goodness knows what chemical I’ve just consumed way!

3 Likes

Lol! I know why they did that. The truffles contain hazelnuts; hazelnuts are expensive; some people are allergic to them. Good excuse for the manufacturers to leave them out…NOT. There are no chocolates with nuts in anywhere anymore apart from Ferrero Rocher. I am still mourning the demise of chocolate nuts. My mum’s favorite story about me is that at the age of two years old, I climbed up to the top shelf of the larder and ate a whole tin of chocolate nuts before anybody was awake on Christmas morning. Those were the days…

Sam x

2 Likes

This might explain things! I found a recipe for chocolate on wikihow and here are the ingredients:-

Cocoa Bean Method (Advanced)
Cocoa beans ( 1 lb or 0.5 kg is a good amount to start with)
You can also buy cocoa nibs and skip Steps 1 and 2
Cocoa butter
Nonfat coco powder
Sugar
Lecithin
1 vanilla pod (optional)

At no point is palm oil required in this recipe. So what is happening is that the chocolate companies have substituted the cocoa butter with palm oil and thickening ingredients so that they can sell the cocoa butter to cosmetics companies at a higher price. Hence the nasty bitter taste (the additives used to harden the chocolate) and the slimy texture (the palm oil).

This is coming at great cost to the environment, because palm oil production is endangering very sensitive habitats around the globe. Cocoa butter is produced as part of the bean which produces the cocoa powder, so the cost to the environment is much lower.

And the chocolate companies are creaming off the profits for something which is essentially not chocolate, but cocoa flavoured hardened palm oil. Yuk.

Sam x

1 Like

Hotel chocolat or equivalent or I’m just not interested - don’t go near cadburys or galaxy and haven’t for many years as its far too sweet for me. I’m waiting to see what reformulated nutella is like with some fear and intrepidation.
Some years back for my maths A level course work I did a statistical analysis of the colour distribution of smarties to see if the manufacturers favour the cheaper to produce colours and yes they did.

3 Likes

Is it just me or do others think that boxed chocolates all taste the same these days? Roses, Quality Street, Milk Tray, Dairy Box and now Thornton’s. There aren’t any flavour bursting centres anymore, I used to love the strawberry, orange, tangerine, coffee cream etc but choose one of these now and the only taste you get is chocolate.

1 Like

They are trying to avoid the situation where customers strongly dislike one of their centres. The problem with that is that nobody strongly likes it either!

Sam x

1 Like

I am a cadbury girl the through and through. I take my God children to Cadbury world for their 13th birthday, sadly I am running out of God children, so may have to think of a new scheme to get my fix. My son walked from Shelly Oaks to Cadbury world to buy me this chocolate tea pot for Christmas. How do I eat it? It says it is 21portions of 25g, but that can’t be right, surely once it’s been opened…

I also love Lindy reindeer
xxxxxxx

3 Likes

I’m not really fussy when it comes to chocolate pretty much anything will do but my favorites are After 8 Mints, Turkish Delight bars or coffee creams.

I didn’t know about the palm oil usage, I’ll have to look into that as I generally don’t have anything that uses it :frowning: