Soap selling uk

Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well! :heart:
I use melt and pour soap bases at home to make soap for my friends and family who absolutely love them.
For a while now I have thought about making them more often and maybe selling them online.
As this is a cosmetic I know there will be certain rules and regulations surrounding this and was wondering if anyone could kindly help by pointing me in the right direction and allowing me to understand exactly what I need to have in place and how to do it before I take the plunge? I would be most grateful for any feedback at all.
Thank you in advance :kissing_heart:

Kry

1 Like

Hi Kry

You need to speak to the trading standards department of your local council, they should be able to help and point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Rob
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thankyou! I’ll give them a call :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re going to need to jump through a lot of hoops to sell soap legally. You have to get a Safety Assessment Certificate listing all the products you use and your suppliers, and that will set you back anything from £500 upwards. Then you have to register each product on the Cosmetic Portal, each single product, the ingredients and photos of your packaging. Then you have to purchase public liability insurance. If you sell anything remotely looking or smelling like food, you have to pay for what’s called the ‘Bite Test’. A legal requirement that will cost you £150 upwards for each product. If you don’t do all this…you can face being heavily sued.

The Trading Standards might advise you on this, but they usually only deal with whether your premises are sound for health and safety, and whether you’re selling anything that looks like food. Some are OK with it, some aren’t.

Check this link out for what you need to be aware of.

Check out this facebook group. They have all the legalities etc, laid out for new soap makers.

I used to make and sell soap BTW.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! This is SOO helpful :slight_smile: I will look into it properly before making a decision on whether it would be good for me or not. Thanks again :heart:

xx