Steampunk?

Wondering if any of you fabulous people can help me! I have been playing with some new designs for some bags and this one kind of happened. I was wondering if something like this would be classed as steampunk or would it need a more mechanical bias, eg some watch cogs etc.

I’m no expert on SteamPunk Roz but from what I’ve seen there’s normally cogs, watch parts, brass…
It’s a lovely bag :blush:

Karen

Karen is right. It’s cogs keys watches things that are slightly not.right.but.seem to go.
Me.and my friends wear alot of steam punk classed items.
Top hats and spiders and spider webs.
Hope that helps

Steampunk is a style that is steam based technology that is more progressed than in real life.

Think the film ‘Wild, wild West’ or the film ‘league of Extraordinary Gentlemen’

Victorian custom with machinical replacement of limbs etc etc.

Loads of cogs and wheels, machincial gears and plently of steam.

That’s what I thought although I saw one definition of “vintage lace/ fabric and antique effect metal findings” which is what made me wonder.

Vintage lace is often a feature of steampunk fashion and accessories, it provides a really good contrast in texture with other fabrics and components.
…I love vintage lace!

The definition of steampunk that I read years back is Victoriana mixed with science fiction, so Queen Victoria with a laser beam gun. I see a lot of steampunk where its just cogs/metal bits etc so to me thats just Victoriana, but I never see the science fiction side of things.

Just googled steampunk handbags, there are lots there and on et… I think you are nearly there, a few heavier bits and it would look great. I love steampunk, but at nearly 65 I think I am a little too old for that fashion.

Steampunk has to look like it has some mechanical purpose. If it just has a couple of cogs on it it can be inspired by steampunk. I’ve only got a couple of steampunk pieces in my shop as it is tricky to make something pretty and look like its got another function.

I’m having a similar problem to Roz trying to describe an item where the word “steampunk” came to mind, but that’s probably not quite right. It’s a vintage belt buckle so not suitable for Folksy but hope you don’t mind me asking for help in describing it for my website.

“Distressed” and “weathered” is about the best I’ve come up with so far.
Thanks!
Julie

I’ve used the steampunk tag for this, not 100% sure about it, but it is Victorian inspired fantasy.

I was at a Steampunk market this weekend, as for being 65 most of those who were dressed up were around that age. So I say go for it :smiley: