Still no sales

Hi Linda. I have had a few sales In person but not online. I have put my jewellery in a local craft shop but haven’t any sales from that yet. Like you say people will be starting to think about Christmas soon and my main customer is talking about buying some jewellery off me for Christmas presents. As for someone modelling my jewellery I didn’t have anyone to model for me that is why I used the bust in my photos.

1 Like

I will try out Instagram. I would do craft fairs if I could get to them. I don’t drive so would have to rely on someone to take me to the craft fairs.

1 Like

Your close up photos look a bit blurry in some cases - are you using the macro setting on your camera/ phone? (its normally represented by a tulip in a menu somewhere) That would allow you get in closer to the jewellery and not rely on post photography zooming in. (doesn’t help if the blur is from camera shake whilst taking the photos but a stand that you can rest the phone in can help with that (I made one from an old egg box to hold my phone whilst shooting videos for IG)

2 Likes

Hi Debbie, I was on Folksy for about 16 months before my first sale. I spent the time adding as much as possible, tweeking write-ups/descriptions, making sure the tags and headings were SEO appropriate (that was a fun time!) taking better & better photos and just advertising each and every day, multiple items, getting myself out there and … doing it all again the next day (you always find something to improve). Jewellery is a ‘full to bursting’ line of selling, so you have to show, and keep showing, why yours is better, prettier, and ‘worth it’. Check out other peoples listings (don’t copy them!) but see what makes theirs stand out, the kind of language they use, the artistry of their photos. It’s a heck of a huge learning curve and it’s not something that happens overnight, but keep improving and tweeking - you will succeed. Good luck!

1 Like

I agree but I also note that the advice which has been given has so far not been acted upon so wonder sometimes why we all bother to be so helpful.

3 Likes

Thanks Jackie.

Sorry you feel that you advice was a waste of time!!!

hi Debbie,
i think possibly the main issue here (hope it’s not blunt, but you have mentioned it a few times) is the Technophobia. Setting up and using an instagram account is free and easier technologically than setting up a folksy account. Plenty of info on here and in general online about how to use it. Basically why would you turn down a free and easy advertising opportunity (plus, I just enjoy Instagram to find out about and connect with other artists etc).
I think people will be genuinely more willing to give more specific advice here once you can get past the ‘but I can’t (etc)…’ stage.

Postage needs reducing to the real cost, or incorporating into free delivery.
Pictures could be more ‘appetizing’ - again, using Folksy, Instagram and Pinterest to research how other people present their work.
Probably a bit more stock needed.
Look forwards to seeing your shop with some changes!
x

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I know I need to take some better photos. I need to take them outside really. I will have to do that at my parents house because I haven’t got any outdoor space. I think free delivery is a good idea. I have done that with Etsy but I didn’t think you could do that on folksy. I need to take loads more photos of the rest of my stock so that I can put it all on here. (I have got loads more stuff to list).

1 Like

Don’t get too disheartened Debbie. There’s been lots of advice for you to look at and possibly try out some new ideas. But it all takes time and it’s difficult to thank everyone individually and carry out what they have suggested. It’s still your shop, and you have to be happy with it. Good luck with your Folksy shop.

1 Like

Hi Debbie. This article might be useful as there are lots of tips in here that can help you get noticed on Folksy - https://blog.folksy.com/2014/05/08/how-to-get-noticed-on-folksy-in-3-easy-steps

I just had a look at your shop, hoping to find something we could feature in our favourites or on social media but unfortunately most of your photographs are out of focus. If you need help around photos, his article has lots of examples of good product photos and the type of photos that work best on Folksy - https://folksy.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/57289-photos-sizing-and-uploading Really though, good photos just takes practice and you will get there!

Have you had a look at our Folksy Seller Handbook - it’s got pretty much everything you need to know including a whole section on social media https://blog.folksy.com/how-to-sell-craft-online-folksy-seller-handbook

Try not to feel daunted - it can feel like there’s an awful lot to learn but just focus on one thing at a time and be kind to yourself. You’ve already managed to set up two shops and list lots of your products - that’s a pretty impressive feat for someone who feels unsure about selling online!

3 Likes

Thanks Marg. like you said I have got loads to do and I know it will take a while. I am aiming to get it all sorted before the end of the month ready for the Christmas shoppers.

1 Like

Hi Camilla. I know I have got to redo the photos. Like I have said before I have got to go to my parents house to take photos in the garden. I took the photos by the window as that is the only natural light in my house but some of the photos have picked up the reflection from the window. I am hoping to take more photos in the next couple of days. Hopefully the weather will be good enough today to do it!

You can make a temporary light diffuser whilst photographing things by taping a large piece of muslin (or other thin white fabric) or sheets of white tissue paper over the window - this should reduce the reflection of the window and reduce glare on shiny surfaces.

3 Likes

Thanks Sasha. I will see if I can find a piece of fabric that I can use.

I have just taken a few photos using muslin over the window and it has made a bit of a difference but you can still see the window. Especially on the close up photos. Not sure what else I can do!

Although everyone says natural light is the best, it isn’t absolutely necessary. Almost all of my photos are taken at night with artificial light… you just have to make sure your white balance is set correctly so the colours look right, and it may require a little tweaking and brightening with photo editing software (but even natural light photos can need that).

I Take my photos in my conservatory but probably have to edit 80% of them to get the right look on colour, brightness etc. Try taking them in different areas then edit them.
Patience…I learnt that when I started…, it took me a couple of months to get my first sale and as long to get the second, almost all of us have been in the same position you are in now, you just have to give it time. I also learnt that worrying over the lack of sales didn’t help me at all.
At the moment people are holding onto their cash as the world is still an uncertain place, I have just had a month between a sale on Folksy, it just makes me work faster to get new things in my shop :smiley::joy: Hopefully you’ll get your first sale soon. @colourburst

2 Likes

A have got a halogen light in my bedroom and a friend of mine suggested I try taking the photos with the light on. I will try it and see what happens I am also going to try and take some in ,my parents garden later today. I will experiment and see what works best.

I realise now that it will all take time. I will keep adding more stock and keep trying to improve my shop and fingers crossed I will start to see some sales soon. Especially as we get nearer to Christmas.

2 Likes