Still no sales

I forgot to say I don’t have a can’t do attitude I just don’t Know how to do things such as social media. I have never used it so I don’t how it works. If I knew how to do things I would do them!!!

Can you afford a wee lightbox?amazon sells small ones with lights for around £30 I believe. I get best results in a window, west facing, when its afternoon and not a sunny day. I don’t mind sunny photos but I need flatter light to show the detail. Just keep experimenting and you’ll find your setup somewhere in your house. Thank goodness we have digital photography now! I take about 20 photos per listing, but at the beginning it was probably closer to 100, to give me plenty of choice.

PS I like seeing the skylight reflection personally. It shows how glossy your item is. If you could keep at least one glossy reflective photo to display that quality, I’d think that would be an asset!

The lack of sharp focus is an issue though. Are you using the macro setting and a tripod/support to take close ups? I have shaky hands and def need to support my camera to stop the fuzzy photos.

Hi Lois. I will try taking the photos with the halogen light in my bedroom and see how I get on. I was worried about the reflection on the jewellery! As for the focus of the images I wanted to get close up images of the patterns in the jewellery so the images aren’t actually blurred like people keep saying. They are close ups of the patterns on the jewellery.

Some most definitely ARE out of focus, I’m afraid. There are two that leap out at me.

The main photo for your blue and grey circular resin pendant is definitely one of them. https://folksy.com/items/7505734-Blue-and-grey-circular-resin-pendant-necklace
This one’s out of focus as well, all three photos are fuzzy.
https://folksy.com/items/7505712-Monochrome-circular-resin-pendant-necklace

It’s your shop however, so you run it as you see fit.

Yes I’m sure things will pick up as we get nearer to Christmas, good luck x

I BOUGHT A light box but can’t use it as it’s not big enough for my dolls, also when photographing bears it does change the colour of the mohair. I have only tried it once, it has the lights and different backdrops, folds up into a carry case, it was around £30 and I think I will be selling it if anyone is interested. I can find the details, sizes etc on request.

Yes, you’re right Debby, it definitely does change colours. I can’t put my finger on exactly what it does with my stuff, but I’ve got a photo editing suite so I can ffiddle with my chosen image till it looks as good as I can get it. It’s the best option I have here in Scotland in winter though as winter light here is very blue and cold. I much prefer my windowsill and natural daylight!

1 Like

I have just looked at those two again and they could do with being a bit clearer!

Thanks Debby!

1 Like

I find editing in my gallery on my tablet is the best option, I almost always have to lighten the photo’s even when I take them in the conservatory…The light never seems right somehow and when it’s really sunny it actually is worse :smiley::joy:the sun picks up tones in the mohair and changes it’s colour.

I did notice you charge £5 post within the Uk. Is this tracked? Personally i would be put off by this.
I send my items first class large letter at £1.15.
So far nothing has gone missing via RM.

Hi. The postage was suggested to be by another folksy seller. I have just checked the postage rates on the royal mail website and have now changed my postage.

The first thing that struck me was how dull the photos are. By this I mean the lighting and the general set up. The boxes don’t enhance the jewellery, which is lovely, they detract from it. I personally think jewellery needs a stark white background or a setting that is highly creative because the jewellery market is so competitive and the jewellery needs to stand out. You can use a blur tool to blur out some of the background so that the pendants leap out. That’s a trick I use a lot, and I have a jewellery store on Etsy. Check out some photos on Pinterest and follow their lead.

Invest in photo editing software to enhance your shots. Here is one of your pendants, brightened and enhanced with the colour dodge tool. The stone now stands right out, looks crisper and with more depth.

3 Likes

I would recommend reading the folksy blog, there is loads on info on there on how to take photos, write titles, descriptions, tags etc.
I had a quick look at a couple of your listings, your tags are only one word long, none of them have the full 13 tags, some have no tags at all and your descriptions are far too short.
Tags, titles and descriptions are how customers find you when they search on google/folksy. And photos are the things which get customers to click through.
So I would advise spending a few hours on the folksy blog on how to make your listings as strong as possible

3 Likes

Indeed. I had a play with my software editor too and made sure it was central in the image rather than casually offset to the left and also chopped the bottom so it is square.! I also always add a slightly blurred border to cover up any resizing I have to do to make it square.

2 Likes

Yes! I build my own light box and the images come out much better with softer shadows and perfect focus.

2 Likes

It can be pretty soul-destroying, but I’m sure it will come.

keep going :no_good_woman:t2:

2 Likes

Don’t forget to mention in descriptions the metal that you are using with the resins (i.e base metal)

I can see you’ve tried a creamy background on some photos, so this is slightly better. I still think that they need work though- reflections etc. Definitely tweak all the photos a little anyway in editing software just to make sure they sparkle :slight_smile:
I suggest having a look at the photos and general set-up of the following jewellery shops below- just to get an idea of how you can present your work consistently and thematically. I also wonder if you could change your jewellery boxes?- they’re a little bit old-fashioned, or at least customise them with your branding.

Sasha Garrett @SashaGarrett
Ruby Spirit Designs
Max Pring @MaxPringJewellery
Bowerbird @bowerbirddesigns
Claire Gent

As you’ll see from the shops above there are many ways to present work in an interesting and creative way.
Hope that’s of use! J

Ooh thanks for giving my photos as an example @SulikoSoul - I do try and think creatively when photographing my jewellery!!

I find my resin coated jewellery the most difficult to photograph to be honest - diffusing the light with white tissue paper seems to help, as well as editing the photos afterwards. I use photoshop, but there’s plenty of other free photo editing software out there, I’ve heard Inkscape is good!:grin::grin:

Cheers, Amanda

I mean resin is soooo hard to photograph! I had to take an oblique angle of the backs of these earrings to stop getting reflections!

Cheers, Amanda :wink: