That's it ! I am downing tools ... well switching off sewing machine for a while LOL!

With over 150 items - and pretty nice ones I think - I am simply not making anything else for my shop until some stock shifts… this could take some time because WOW ! sales are flatter than a very flat thing …

Even my sale stuff isn’t tempting many people …

There seems little point in adding to the stock in the cupboards as I have more than enough ;)!

SO the only sewing I shall do for a while is for myself and projects in our home - you know THAT DRESS I cut out 18 months ago and STILL haven’t sewn OPPS

Anyone else ever taken time out ? how did you get your mojo back…I don’t lack for ideas but why bother…

( yup I facebook, tweet and Folksy have kindly added some of my items to gift guides - If I can muster some enthusiasm I may retake some photos but meh…)

7 Likes

I know what you mean @WittyDawn, I’m in the same boat, selling bits but nothing like it used to be. It does put you off making more stock though, if nothing much sells you lose your enthusiasm.

2 Likes

Feeling exactly the same - sales so slow over the last few months - in fact when I think of it over this year. Most disheartening. I am doing a lot less at the moment. Spending some quiet time knitting for the Premature Baby Unit and quite enjoying it.

4 Likes

Me too! I’m making a coat when the weather’s bad and helping my OH paint the outside of the house when it’s fine. I may not be making any money, but think how much I’m saving :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m closing my shop at the end of October, although my sales have been OK on here, I’ve been busy lately doing other things and I’m going to search out new places to sell, even if that means returning to craft fairs, but not until next year when I have a enough new and exciting stock to offer my customers. I may come back to Folksy with a new shop but not at the moment.

1 Like

I’m a bit like that at the moment. I have made and listed a lot this summer, so I am having a little break from it. We moved this year and we have loads to do in the house, so I’m not lacking in projects! Just swapping the sewing for a bit of painting and decorating.

2 Likes

I haven’t made anything for ages. I keep an eye on my shop but I will not be re-listing anything which does not sell within the 4 months in future. No point in throwing good money after bad.

Sam x

3 Likes

I’ve put my knitting needles down lately, except when working for custom orders. I’ve been spending more time gardening - buying new plants and looking for pots for them has been so exciting. I’m sure my needles will be begging me to use them soon, though!

3 Likes

I defiantly know what you mean i have done the same i have had four sales this year and i stupidly got a plus account at the start of the year. It runs out in January if nothing great happens before then i think i will just let the items expire and call it quits. I love it on here so would be a shame but i need to have a really good think.

1 Like

I know how you feel…and I’m even more down today as a custom order hasn’t been paid for…despite my customer trying twice…and I think it may be due to changes in Paypal…now I’m wondering how many sales I have missed…:cry:

1 Like

I know the feeling regarding online stock.
Ever since I’ve started selling work in local galleries etc my Folksy sales have plummeted. I don’t know if it’s because I’m not putting as much effort in, but I just don’t have enough time to promote everything. I try and find time to take half decent photos but it’s been pretty tough recently. I push as much as I can but it’s been really quiet.

2 Likes

Don’t blame yourself! Looking at this thread and a few others recently it looks like everybody has low views and sales at the moment. As we all have different promotion strategies this would suggest it isn’t us. What is causing the slump is more difficult to pin-point.

Sam x

4 Likes

Please don’t give up yet! Personally, I find the magic number to be about 200, less than that and my sales slow right down! I know some people can get away with just a few items and have lots of sales, it’s just finding your magic number, that’s all! :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

3 Likes

I have had a few sales but nothing like what I need to make this a viable online shop. What i don’t know thought, which is a shame, is how many of my sales do come from people in the forums and how many are ‘regular punters’. The reason I say that is I’m not entirely sure which element of my promotion is working - the posting in threads on the forums or my occasional post on FB, or my natural search engine optimisation…

But the positive thing is that it is Christmas soon, and I have given myself a personal challenge. I am going to buy all my Christmas cards and gifts online (which I have never done before). When I think about my own shopping habits, I buy tons of stuff from local shops which I could buy online… I’m also adding more multi offers, which seem to be popular at craft fairs.

4 Likes

It was suggested that if we all bought Christmas presents from our fellow folksy sellers. And bearing in mind there are 5000 of us…‘well you do the math!’ So this year hubby and I have put our money where my heart is (here on folksy with you guys) and have put a ‘date’ in the diary to spend the evening on the sofa, present buying! ‘every little helps’ to coin another phrase.
So lets start a trend, actually lets start a revolution, buy from folksy this Christmas. Not only will you be buying an actual gift, but just the act of buying from a fellow folksier, will be a gift to them ad well. Kind of makes sense to me. Keep it within the folksy family.
Just a rambling thought!
Suzzie x

13 Likes

Great idea - support handmade!

4 Likes

I bought more than half my Christmas shopping from Folksy last year, and gave people my list from Folksy too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes I have a STACK of projects so it’s not like I am stopping lol

Yes my garden has been rather neglected as we got a rescue dog in Feb and I have spent a lot of time training and enjoying walking him :slight_smile:

Yes, last year it was just gifts for me!, but this year it will be gifts for family too. Quite excited to legitimately spend time on folksy looking in shops I haven’t been to yet…
Suzzie x

3 Likes