Is anyone else's shop as dead as mine?

My November sales for 2012…40 items. My November sales for 2013…25 items. My November sales for 2014 (so far)…4 items. I know I’ll be reprimanded for being negative but how am I supposed to stay positive? It makes no difference whether I promote or not. All I can say is R.I.P. my shop!

7 Likes

I agree…sales (or should that be lack off!) have all but disappeared.

I’m no expert, but could it be there were far fewer sellers in 2012 and 2013, so your items were among less sellers and therefore getting seen more by buyers. I think more B&M shops are jumping on the “handmade” bandwaggon". Marg. x

5 Likes

My shop is low on sales too - I think I have a thick layer of dust on the shelves and some items have started to fossilise!

Jacqueline x

2 Likes

My shop is quiet - I think of it as much as an on line portfolio for people to browse through before coming to find me at craft fairs. Nov/ Dec last year no sales through folksy but 60ish through craft fairs and some people did admit that they had drawn up a short list after looking through the shop. I’ve not even been bothering to put it into holiday mode when I go to craft fairs.
Sasha

1 Like

I guess if the current trend keeps up we will be able to rent out our shops for western films…cue clumps of tumbleweed rolling by…hee! hee!

5 Likes

Could be.
Although my google analytics stats show that I do get the viewers, although they do not transfer into being buyers.
Also like many others since September, and compared to previous years, the overall number of visitors to my shop has dropped significantly.

Christine

2 Likes

I love your tumbleweed comment Christine… the first thing today which has made me really laugh !!!

Craft fairs in 2012 were brilliant for met, last year was a complete waste of my time so decided to give them a miss this year. Maybe if things are picking up again, I might do a few next year .

Hi Christine @coatimundi, it is difficult to stay positive. Zero sales in November, (despite promoting on Facebook, Twitter, Blog, Forum and Craftjuice) I did have 1 sale in October and 1 in August. Things have definitely taken a turn for the worse since August/September. I’m going to take a break from promoting for a while, just to see if it makes a difference. I’m hoping for a Christmas rush, but I won’t be holding my breath.

2 Likes

hee! hee!..just couldnt resist!

Yes…unfortunately I feel the same way about christmas sales on Folksy too.

1 Like

I’m sorry that others are having a lean time at the moment, but sort of relieved that I’m not the only one. I was getting a bit paranoid- perhaps I’d been singled out to be ignored! :slight_smile: Anyway, I’ve paid my Plus sellers fees until next August so I’ll have to hang around to (with luck) break even! Perhaps the customers will come back one day…

4 Likes

I am having the same experience. This is my 4th Christmas season on Folksy, and my sales and views are way down on last year. I think the “recently listed” having been taken away has had an impact, as it was a way for people to browse, when they didn’t know what they were looking for. Now if you know what you want you can search for it, but how can you generally browse?
I promote through Facebook, but their changes make it harder to be seen there too. I agree with the earlier comment about being found among so many more sellers too.

5 Likes

Mine is the same, I have had good sales for the last year and then two - three months ago it died a death despite me not changing anything I have done. In fact I am now promoting more and getting nowhere. I have also paid my plus account until July/ August next year so I will see how things go and decide if it is worth keeping my shop or not :frowning: sad times.

3 Likes

I read somewhere the monthly stats for folksy were 394k visits approx. given there are just under 6k sellers on here, it stands to reason once the sellers own views are taken out, there probably really isn’t that much ‘external’ traffic coming here. And of course with 6k sellers, a percentage will do very well and a percentage will not. Without analysing the stats and the customer journeys though I’m not sure we will ever understand but Folksy does provide a lot of sensible advice on improving shops and traffic which is worth seeking out. Whenever I look at my shop, there’s always something I can be doing differently - it’s never ending!! :smile:

5 Likes

To be brutally honest? I have been on Folksy for several years now and IMO if this site was really going to “take of” it would have done so by now.
This is probably the best that it is going to be.

Christine

3 Likes

I actually had a couple of sales last night :slight_smile: Just small ones but a pleasant surprise having declared my shop dead…

2 Likes

For some of us the site has ‘taken off’ - my sales are growing each year.

3 Likes

I feel your pain I all but left my shop for dead for about 10 months and ran every item down as it just was,nt worth wasting money after money re-listing.
I decided last weekend to give it another chance and relist only my tote bags and to my surprise I had one sale on the Monday. I wont hold my breath though because sales on this site have always been few and far between !