Would you buy an unframed print?

A few years ago, (some of you may remember!) I used to sell kids personalised prints. I have been pondering selling them again but I now for various reasons want to sell them unframed. About 95% of my sales were gifts so my question is, would you buy an unframed print for a child or new baby as a gift?
I am thinking if I did standard sizes it’s easy to buy a frame if you wanted, but really, would you just go elsewhere?
Emma x

1 Like

I would certainly buy an unframed print for me indeed I’m more likely to buy an unframed print - I’m very picky about my frames and have a framer I use who doesn’t bat an eyelid regardless of what I hand him. For a child, if I was going to buy them a picture it would be unframed - that way the parents could get a frame to fit in with the room decor but I’m not convinced I would buy them a picture. Also unframed would be easier to post - a lot of my friends aren’t local so handing over presents isn’t always easy. I still haven’t met the children (now 4 and 2) of some dear university friends but I have posted several presents to them.
Possibly worth noting that I do have framed on the wall animal alphabets in Swedish and Danish, they are meant to go in a nursery but amused me with their Naesehorn and Xenosauridae. Also the framer currently has an original illistration from a kids book, hopefully finished soon so it can go up when we do the re hang at Easter. You are not necessarily just targetting kids (or parents of kids) but big kids as well.

2 Likes

I agree with Sasha - I would definitely prefer to buy unframed. I think in order to ensure the safety of the frame in transit I would expect to have to pay a considerably higher postage charge which may then deter me from buying. I would rather spend the money choosing a frame to my own taste. I have a few pictures in my shop which I only offer unframed. Sold a couple so it doesn’t put everyone off!

2 Likes

I’m quite happy to buy prints unframed, as we have an art shop locally, who sell ready-mades mounts & frames and also offer a framing service.

I actually bought a mount & custom-made frame online recently and was very pleased with the result. There was a special offer with eFrame.co.UK. I would recommend them and will use them again.

1 Like

I would buy an unframed print. :smile:

Karen

Yup, I’d rather buy unframed as I’d rather buy my own frames to suit my own décor. And, it would cost a lot less for postage! :smile:

I remember your prints, they were lovely! Unframed is definitely the way to go - the main reason as has been already said, everyone has a different style and so what you and I might think is a lovely frame, may not actually fit in with decor - so yes, go for it!!

I’m another who would prefer to buy an unframed print so I could choose the frame myself. The main thing is the print!

Sam x

I sell my prints online & in a B&M shop. I only sell them framed in the shop- as they also act as decoration for their walls. And they sell well there.
But online I only offer unframed, which also seem to sell well- a couple of people have asked if I will get things framed for them, which I’m happy to do, but unframed online doesn’t seem to put people off at all.
Good luck with it all! :blush:

I would buy unframed as I have in the past then I can choose my own framing to suit my décor.

I have bought both framed and unframed in the past.

I agree with Roz @Rozcraftz saves on the postage to send it unframed. Offer both and the customer can choose for themselves.
Hazel

I design prints and used to sell them here with no mount border and they sold, they they stopped selling so Ive since added a mount Ive not sold one:o(. I decided against selling them with a frame due to the buyers personal preferences/breaking in the post etc

Thanks everyone that’s very encouraging. I imagined everyone would say they would rather them framed! so I got that wrong :smile:
I am going to go away and work on a new range so watch this space!
Emma x

1 Like

I prefer unframed as people have varied tastes and so they can choose their own. Also sometimes you like a print, but the frame is not to your liking - and you then would be paying extra for something you do not want.
i would say unframed are better - as long as standard sizes.

1 Like

This is a really interesting thread. I sell unframed prints, mainly because it’s more practical to post them and so that customers can choose their own frames. I have considered whether it would be worth adding in framed options, so that someone could buy a print ready to hang and avoid having to arrange framing themselves separately. It’s useful to hear that so many of you prefer to buy prints unframed and why. If anyone else has views on this I’d be interested to hear.

1 Like