Trying hard

Morning, despite regular listings and participating in the forums I still haven’t managed a sale before Christmas…Any advice gratefully received … Dawn

2 Likes

I am amazed…you know that I love your cards and cannot understand why you haven’t had sales this year…wish I knew the answer.x

Thank you for that Brenda, its only on here that there is no interest,on the other side I have a few sales a month.

Are my prices too high

Dawn, your cards are beautiful and the prices aren’t too high. Folksy never comes up in searches but Etsy does, so that’s where shoppers will go, maybe Folksy needs to up it’s profile a bit to get us all noticed. Most of my friends had never heard of Folksy when I mentioned it. Fingers crossed that you get a sale soon. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Your shop is lovely Dawn @worldofcards and prices are definitely not too high.

I too really struggle to get sales here and it’s not without trying.

I hope things pick up for you soon.

Actually, Folky does come up in searches. As a seller, it is your responsibility to make sure your photo is named to the search keyword you want to associate it with. Also, the title and description should have the key words or phrase. I just tested with my unique items. Folksy shows up in images and in first page.

I just tried that by putting in fairy notebook and it came up very close to the top but not sure if it was because I had done it several times before.Would a few of you be kind enough to put “fairy notebook” into Google and see if it comes up… thank you

Sorry to say in my search, your shop, and folksy didn’t make it on the first page for fairy notebook. All the other selling platforms did though. x

I’ve just tried too. No sign of Folksy or your shop on the first 15 pages of Google’s results (gave up after that).

Edited to add: If you search using Bing, you appear on the second page of results.

Thank you for looking x

Same here, mainly etsy popping up. You need to improve on your key wording and use the keywords in your title.

For example:

Rename that to something like… Bee Notebook, A6 Bee design , bee lover gift, bee print, lined paper notebook.

Repeat your title on the description. Use your keywords in the description and add them to the tags too. Use standard size… A6, A5, A4, etc.

2 Likes

Also, make sure you create an even presentation.

Use a low coffee table, knee height or something. Buy an A2 or A1 sheet as background. Photograph straight down from same distance. That’s your first picture. Next is prop it up with something complimentary or do a lifestyle type of picture, make it bright and neutral so your cards stand out.

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Thank you, I will spend a day working on my photos x

I am not one to ask about prices because I know I undersell my paintings.
I prefer to have lots of pence rather than wait for weeks for one good sale…
It is swings and roundabouts I am afraid.
I have three shops…this one, one on the dark side and the auction site.
Oddly I sell everything I list on the auction site and for the same price( and often double) on there. It is obviously because people KNOW the site and some people love the thrill of the bidding and winning.
I currently have two bids that are higher than people can buy from on Folksy, which is crazy.
I always send out business cards with my Folksy details, but still these people prefer the auction site.
The dark side is ok and that is because etsy is worldwide and known better. I heard it mentioned twice on tv last week.
However I appreciate that Folksy wants to stay British and wants to focus on genuinely hand crafted items where as on the dark side , pretty much anything goes…
So we have to just list and hope.x

There are three market places for craft and I tried them all in previous version of my shop.
I am a bit of a finicky person. I stopped selling from Etsy because as soon as I hit loads of sales, many others copied my makes and it slowly wound down. Plus, as an artist, the copyright infringement there is horrible.

Dawanda is more European but I now hate it because they opened it up to a lot of Chinese which are cheap, good pictures, bad quality and Asian sizes. It was great before the Chinese makers came. Now it’s annoying.

I like Folksy better even if I only made one sale so far. I hope it improves visibility, SEO and maybe ask Kirstie to mention it often in her program or maybe just spend some serious cash on advertising. After all, we use it because we needed a platform to help us sell. We don’t make sales, we go away and they will languish behind the competition.

NotontheHighStreet is okay, they spent money on adverts, cost a lot to join and I know a couple of friends who sell a lot there. I don’t like that they sort of force sellers to do a discount sale.

I find using key words etc tricky. At least it doesn’t seem to work for me :smile: If I search for something from my shop it doesn’t show up in google. Only things I’ve shared on my blog will show up with a link to my blog, not my shop. keep trying…

I think blogs are the way to go. I must start mine up again. I’ve had only 3 views yesterday, but I’ve been away so not promoted anyway. So 3 is probably quite good considering! :blush:

I gave up on my blog…no one ever read it or made a comment. To be honest I never look at statistics as it is easy to get paranoid…I just list, share, and do the daily listing on folksy and this month I have had 27 (YES 27) sales this MONTH !!!..
I think it is important to go on the forums and chat, then people get to recognise your name…
Example,…I had a necklace given to me as a gift but the chain was too short and I couldn’t wear it…then I thought…“I wonder who I know that could sell me a longer chain?” The names that came to mind were ones that I had seen many times on the folksy forums…so I contacted one of them and she got my custom…
If someone I knew wanted a fairy card, I would think of “World of cards” and suggest a visit to this shop…and that is because I have seen this shop promoted on the forums and so it has stuck in my memory…
I am on the forums every day and with 27 sales this month it certainly pays off.

3 Likes