Welcome to the Discourse forum usability test!

Not that I don’t love you lot to squashy bits but it will be great to get a few more souls over here:)

Leanne Woods Designs

3 Likes

Having now played around in here for a few days the one thing that is standing out to us as a little ‘clunky’ is the ‘Reply’ function.

It would be much better if any replies were automatically tagged onto the bottom of the comment being replied to. The way they just get dropped into the thread at present can make the comments really dis-jointed and because there is no highlight back to what is actually being replied to means repetitive scrolling back to fathom out what is being discussed.

1 Like

I do agree [quote=“littleRamstudio, post:129, topic:62”]
It would be much better if any replies were automatically tagged onto the bottom of the comment being replied to
[/quote]

When someone replies to another post, for instance just above where Joy and Karen have replied to Shirley, if you click on the little box that says “in reply to WhimseyWooDesign” Shirley’s post will appear right above the reply. It’s not ideal, I would prefer replies to appear immediately after but it does save a fair bit of scrolling up and down if you want to see what someone was replying to.

Leanne Woods Designs

2 Likes

I moved 17 posts to a new topic: About signatures and stores

1 Like

This is only suppressed for direct replies. It is configurable, @SianFolksy can change it in site settings … see:

suppress_reply_directly_below

and

suppress_reply_directly_above

Personally I find our default confusing, but @system is passionate about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Curious question - why does the Views for this topic show in red when all the other figures are grey ?

OOh just rdiscovered I can sort on the different columns if i want too or rather meant to - which i didn’t !

Ohhh! Thanks @sam !
I’ve configured that for you @littleRamstudio - better or worse?

note there is a regression where its expanding posts directly above as opposed to highlighting them on click. will get it sorted.

I strongly advise against this setting, it is extremely noisy.

There is a natural expectation that posts directly underneath are related to the posts above, just like in conversation when one person pauses, another person talks and is speaking to that person.

Otherwise you end up with this, which adds a lot of noise on the top and bottom:

Is the part in blue really necessary?

Note that disconnected replies, replies separated by more than one post in time, are connected. This suppression is exclusively for singleton, one-after-the-other scenarios where there is maximum noise and minimum benefit.

I’ve disabled this for now pending a bit more evaluation – I think you’ll want to get more feedback.

Although new replies are posted at the bottom of the page, I think what you want is already there (click the grey ‘replies’ box underneath the post to expand):

1 Like

I think I misunderstood what that setting did! I agree, it’s better without it. Good (bad) to see it in action though.

@system - I understand nothing about this, it’s all gobbledegook to me, but I am in awe of anyone who understands all this technical stuff!

1 Like

I was wrong, it was broken, but ‘Top’ should show popular topics now!

1 Like

So it does! Thanks Sian.

Hello Sian, just to let you know that I posted on two topics this evening but my activity has recorded it as the same thread twice! ( also for the third post, they are all coming up as the same one)
It’s all fine now, can see the different topics now :smile:

We loves it, more peps to play with, hurray :smile:

1 Like

Hello and welcome to all the new Forum members :slight_smile: Have fun.

Just been allowed out to play on the new forums, looks a bit scary at the moment but also quite exciting :slight_smile:

2 Likes