Folksy Ltd

What apple tree do you have growing in your garden?

(Suzzie Godfrey) #1

Slightly off on a tangent, I know, but was wondering if any of you had the ‘best ever’ apple tree in their garden and if they knew exactly what it was, type of apple as well as rootstock.
We had some leylandii removed from our garden and now we feel exposed! We want the ultimate apple tree to replace them, there is a Bramley out the back that I have access to, so don’t need one of those, and there is an orchard just over the way for cross pollination, what would you all suggest?
Should be getting on with my WIP, but the choosing of an apple tree seems to have halted my desire to knit!
Please help,
Suzzie x

1 Like
(Eileens Craft Studio) #2

I have a Lexton apple which fruits no end every year and they taste amazing.

I also have a cox apple tree but they take longer to mature I find. So they take a while to fruit and when they do it’s only a few little ones.

But over the years more fruit and slowly larger fruit but you need to thin out the fruit and they are yummmie

I’d like a Russet apple as well at some point.

Apples and pears are like use the parent trees give their genes to the offspring but like with us they are all different and will taste different, look different and you don’t know what the which apple from which pip from the same tree will turn out like until it grows big enough and old enough to proceed it’s own fruit.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #3

oh I must say I love all Mr Laxton’s varieties. My in laws bought his house and in the large garden were lots of his expertimential apples tree’s… His large orchard was in Bedford the part of which is now that’s know called Brickhill.

A lot of his varieties where created around 1907

(Sasha Garrett) #4

I’m not sure what rootstock my apples are as I’m fairly certain its not the one I ordered (I ordered minerette trees and they definately aren’t those). Variety is easier greensleeves and falstaff, greensleeves established well pretty quickly and is a heavy cropper which keep well. Falstaff is still settling in (this will be its 3rd summer in situ) but produces a few apples each autumn thus far. I say wait til autumn and then taste your way round the orchard (or an apple farm if you can find one) so that you can pick the one you like the flavour of, then discuss with a grower what sort of root stock works for that tree in the position you have.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #5

oh yes don’t forget all apples tree’s are grafted tree’s so they all have the same root and then them bit that fruits is grafted onto that root just like pears, plums, cherries and rose’s.

So you have to locate the graft and remember when pruning to remember that if any shoot come out from below the graft point they should be cut out as they are the original wild root stock and if allowed to grow will take over and you’ll have only small fruit true only to the root stock and not the variety grafted into it.

(Suzzie Godfrey) #6

Just looking up Laxtons varieties, all good classics I must say. Interesting what you say about the cox apple, as I have heard that from others too - small fruits.
Thanks Eileen
Suzzie x

(Suzzie Godfrey) #7

Falstaff was one that was suggested to me this afternoon. I know the tree nursery over our way does a tasting in the apple shed later in the year, I am just impatient and want to whittle the selection down before I go atasting.
Suzzie x

(Deborah Jones) #8

our best grower/cropper is a little Sunset tree, similar to Cox , but less prone to some of the problems cox have.
It blossoms profusely quite early, but sets well and the apples are very tasty.
Ours is one of those that stays very small, but I think you can get it in all sizes.

(Suzzie Godfrey) #9

Sunset was one of the top 2 that were suggested to me this afternoon, but aren’t the apples rather small?
Suzzie x

(Deborah Jones) #10

They are smaller like cox , but not tiny.
My husband bought his mum a family tree that had 3 types on, it was a great success. You can get family trees with Sunset on now too.

(Suzzie Godfrey) #11

I saw those, but didn’t realise what they were!! what a brilliant idea, just going to investigate that now, thank you,
Suzzie x

1 Like
(Beaniehats) #12

We have recently planted an orchard to celebrate our silver wedding in 2 weeks. We have golden delicious, Braeburn, Cox’s Orange Pippin, Jonagold and Florentina. They were doing well but seem to be going brown in places. We are watering them when it is dry and will test the soil if it gets worse.

(Suzzie Godfrey) #13

Oh dear, browning dosnt sound good. I do hope you find out what it is and can sort the problem out. Its our silver next year, but we haven’t room foe an orchard, so one tree will have to do!
Suzzie x

(Sara Leigh Thornton) #14

I have apple trees that I grew from pips, so they are not a specific type at all :slight_smile: But then, I planted them to grow food for m y bunnies (they eat the leaves and twigs) so I’m not fussed it they never fruit :slight_smile: They’re about 5 years old now, and getting to be really nice little trees :slight_smile:

I also have two patio apple trees, but I don’t really know what kind they are - they were reduced to a ridiculous price at the garden centre because the tags had come off. But I always wanted lots of apple trees so I bought them anyway :smiley:

(Suzzie Godfrey) #15

You wouldn’t think one tree would cause such deliberation! we want to be able to walk/sit under it eventually, its going to take centre stage and so needs a good blossom, and I would love to be able to use the apples in a tarte tatin or such, decisions,decisions…

(Heidi Meier) #16

I saw a programme once that had a multitude of varieties grafted onto one tree. Took endless patience I’m sure and a while to get established but that would be a fab choice - a different apple from every bough lol! A bit like the Magic Faraway Tree! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(Suzzie Godfrey) #17

My daughter would love that,the faraway tree was her favourite book!
I think that is what is being marketed as a family tree. Sounds like a good all rounder.
Suzzie x

2 Likes
(Sarah Lambert) #18

Lord Lambourne is a variety I would love if I had the room.

(Suzzie Godfrey) #19

Haven’t looked at that variety, why do want that one Sarah?
Suzzie x

(Sarah Lambert) #20

It’s a nice small apple with a good flavour. I used to buy them from a roadside stall near where I worked a few years ago.