What else do you do? Hidden talents

I do voluntary work with refugees, write & illustrate my own zines or illustrate other people’s articles, like this one: https://www.opendemocracy.net/shinealight/lydia-noon/if-i-d-known-what-to-ask-for-i-wouldn-t-have-gone-hungry
But I love gardening, making jam and playing my concertina really badly.

9 Likes

I’m another retired am dram person :slight_smile:

I’ve been in a fair few musicals, but not with lead roles as I can’t sing lol! But I was one of the dancers, and as long as I mimed or just sang quietly in the chorus I got away with not being able to sing :slight_smile:

I’ve also written a lot of pantomimes, which I produced / directed / choreographed / and made the costumes & props for - that was a mad ten years! (did it whilst working in the day and devoting my evenings to the pantos). I’ve also written a musical which was staged (still amateur, but hard work on a tiny budget!)

Nowadays I concentrate on my rabbits and art. And if I get a chance I work on the children’s books I’m writing (never could be satisfied with working on one project at a time!) - I have three which are almost finished, just needing tweaking, and now I’ve started on the illustrations.

Oh, and I’ve fallen in love with rock painting and hiding, and belong to a few Facebook groups for that as a hobby. I love it when people find my rocks and want to keep them :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I make soap. I don’t sell it because playing with alkalines is fun, but navigating the regulations is not. I also tap dance :man_dancing:

8 Likes

I sing in our local choir , which is fantastic when it all comes together .

8 Likes

Interesting thread this…I also play the Cello, in an orchestra but also every day at home…I love the fact that the crafting community is also so musical ! anyone know the science behind this ?

4 Likes

Maybe its a love of the arts, in general? I sung with a choir, and play the piano and have a deep love of music. Hubby’s not artistic and prefers noisy music, whereas I love melody. I bet some scholar has studied the link, somewhere!

2 Likes

Hi Fiona - just had a look at your shop - I love your work! And your workshop/home sound amazing - the railway carriage is beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too @kernowclaire regarding the Tudor period and also the coin!! I love history and as I work in a primary school get very excited whenever we do it (we’re doing Victorians at the moment).

A not so hidden talent - I was a graphic designer before I had kids and still enjoy the odd bit now and then.

Oh and I can also sing and play Pool but not at the same time unless drunk.

4 Likes

Wow that is some achievement.

1 Like

I do many different crafts. Recently I made quilts, cross stitch, felt creatures and just completed a glass fusing jewellery course.

2 Likes