What other hobbies do you have?

Obviously we are all crafters but I just wondered what other hobbies people had. Also if you craft full time and consider it your job, do you do have another crafting hobby that you keep separate and just for you.

I’m thinking of this today as I ran a half marathon yesterday and I’m in agony today. I’m very pleased that I have can sit down and crochet today. Having two very opposite pastimes works very well.

3 Likes

Well done, Caroline!
I do lots of other things, but don’t really consider them hobbies. I’ve never been sporty, so keeping fit is a bit of a chore. I’m making curtains at the moment and finding that a chore,too! Gardening I do when it needs doing…
If a hobby has to be something you do because you enjoy it, perhaps I should say watching Netflix! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Other than crafting I don’t think I have any other hobbies. I do all sort of crafts, some to sell and some as gifts or for my own home. I paint, papier mache, woodwork, sewing and anything else that grabs my fancy. I do enjoy taking photo’s but I wouldn’t consider it a hobby.

Well done on your half marathon, :runner: it’s a great achievement, I’m really bad, I consider running as a form of punishment and avoid it as much as I can x :walking:
:wink:

2 Likes

Congrats on the half marathon. I have recently started running and am following a C25K training program. Injured my ankle a few weeks ago so had to stop and only just started gentle 2/3min bursts again. Surprisingly I really miss it (always said I would never run) so I guess its becoming a hobby. Other than that I enjoy reading but felting really eats up all my time these days and I’m lucky if I manage to read a paragraph before falling asleep at night! Lots of things I’d like to do but never seem to get the time.

2 Likes

Well done on the half marathon Caroline. As well as crafting my other hobbies are supporting greyhound rescue in this country and the galgos in Spain. Flamenco dancing is my other hobby, I’m addicted to it plus it’s good exercise and keeps me fit, at 65 every little helps I think. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Curtains are a chore, too many straight lines and it sticks out like a sore thumb if (or in my case when) you don’t get things quite right, as for your other hobby Christine I’m watching Jonathon Creek on Netflix right now :smile:

2 Likes

Well done on the half marathon Caroline, I’m not at all sporty, most of my hobbies are crafty. As well as the papercrafting items that I sell, I sew and crochet, I do read but not as much as I used to as I tend to get so engrossed in a book I don’t put it down until the end (and I need my beauty sleep more these days :smiley:)

1 Like

Hi Roz, @OrchardFelts I occasionally listen to audio books when I’m working, it’s quite enjoyable. well done on your running :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love my allotment.
I am itching for the weather to warm up just a tad, so I can get in there and do some lottie-ing. The rhubarb is sorted, the strawberry bed needs some love, and the raspberries are just begining to think about bursting forth.
Sowed the sweet peas seeds this morning.
But I also like to bake, and make jam.
And having just moved I too am altering curtains to fit the cottage windows.
Not sure I actually have time for more hobbies…
Suzzie xx

3 Likes

I was always very heavily into racquet sports having planned Badminton and Squash for my county.

I’m also a Squash and Badminton coach and ran a huge Badminton club and was head coach for 8 years before moving down to Surrey.

I used to love my martial arts but one too many sports accidents put paid to that :frowning:

I love growing my own fruit, veggies and herbs but boy it can be hard work owning 3 gardens.

I also sing and play guitar in a band and once a year I sing in a choral choir which I don’t find easy as I have to learn the written part rather than make up my harmonies as I go along.

I also love to race cars but can’t afford it at the moment as running imported sports cars is not a cheap hobby. :frowning:

4 Likes

I spend about and hour and a half / 2 hours walking the dog! lol he is a BIG ( but satisfying ) timewaster ;)!

9 Likes

Congratulations on the half marathon! I’m now allowed to run (not enough cartlidge in my knees) so have a lot of respect for those who can run to that distance. Well done. :smiley:

I enjoy a fair few things on top of my lino cutting. I love reading- I read almost every day & would definitely consider it a hobby. I love yoga & spending time at the gym. I love walking with my husband and wildlife spotting- we go out most weekends to see what we can find as he loves taking photos of them. (So far in Canada we’re up to a porcupine, several coyotes, eagles, Cooper’s hawks and ospreys, several kinds of woodpecker) so looking forward to the spring when more comes out to play!
I’ve also enjoyed getting back into ice skating here! The Olympic Oval is included in my gym membership & its 5 mins from my house so pretty awesome! All the lakes & rivers freeze over too so there’s free skating to be had all over the city in the winter. So it’s been great getting into that again- I last considered skating a hobby when I was a kid! But everyone does it here! Haha

3 Likes

Painting/drawing is great work, but I do always consider it work because in the back of my mind is always the thought that I want it to sell.

For a purely fun, crafty thing I’ve started doing pysanky - decorated eggs made with wax and dyes (like mini batik). It means I still get to be creative without any thought of trying to sell in my head, because I’d be terrified of trying to post them!

3 Likes

I have enjoyed a full working life in and around ‘arts and crafts’ and in my younger years I played rugby, enjoyed scuba-diving and para-gliding.
I am now well passed my sell-by date, but I can still enjoy the art and craft with the support of my PC. To vary things, I also write computer software, mainly utilities (apps.), but have also worked on some much bigger projects, too!
J.

2 Likes

Well done on the half-marathon! I guess I’d have to count my sewing as a hobby as well as a business due to the fact that I also have a full-time job so I only get to sew in my spare time (which makes me very sad - I’d love to do it as my job). I also love gardening. My garden was my pride and joy but it’s looking a little less impressive now as the sewing takes up much of the time I used to spend gardening. I love to read too and I have to permanently have a book on the go. As soon as I finish one I start a new one. I used to knit and do cross-stitch embroidery but, alas, no time for that any more!

3 Likes

Well done, I love walking but not to far as riddled with arthritis but always on the move.
My hobbies are gardening in small doses but keep on top of it .
Sewing which I love making and finding new materials , singing with the choir,
And my love of art , going out into the lakes looking for new ideas to paint and last of all I have a lot of wonderful friends which I love to keep in touch with.

2 Likes

Wow well done on your half marathon - my hobby is great for getting outdoors and walking - having rescue spaniels makes walking a must as well as a hobby. I go geocaching. People hid tupperware and I use a gps to find it, then log it online as an achievement. Its super for seeing places that I would never have otherwise explored.
www.geocaching.com is the site if anyone fancies a nosey :smiley:

4 Likes

How interesting to find out a little more about everyone :slightly_smiling_face: My hobby is kayaking: competing and coaching my children.
Ali

2 Likes

Well done on your half marathon, that’s a great achievement! It is lovely to read about people’s hobbies :slight_smile: . Mine have to be poetry (reading and writing), hiking (although I haven’t done it in a while), quirky & foreign films (e.g Almodovar or Cohen Brothers) and I also watch British films and series on Netflix.

1 Like

I like to go for walks, if I’m alone I’ll go with my camera. Photography is my hobby, I don’t consider myself skilled enough to make is a job, and it’s nice to have one aspect of my creativity that isn’t also my penny earner. I like to take photos of delicate things in sunlight. My photos aren’t always technically “right”- but I like to do my own thing and create an atmospheric representation rather than an accurate one.

5 Likes