Folksy Ltd

What items to sell at craft fairs

(Roz) #1

Over time I have tried my hand at various crafts and consequently have a large range of items to sell. I have recently started concentrating on my felt work (needle felting and wet felting) and feel this is the direction I want to go as it is the craft I love although i am still making up other items from existing stock.

My question is what to sell at craft fairs. My tables are beginning to look somewhat cluttered with lots of different items. Should I go for the more focused look and just display my felt work or should I give people the choice of other items and go for the gift stall look? Maybe have a seperate small table with a few “select” items on.

I am reluctant to stop displaying everything as I would like to sell it all but just thought I would ask what others think.

(Wendy Derrick) #2

Just had a quick look at your shop, is your felting mainly wall art pieces? The ones I saw looked beautiful.

The reason I ask is that I think I would only display the felting if it was a fair or event that was catered more to art, but if it was a general craft fair I would probably put the felting together on one side of the table, and use the other to show the other items, grouping them together and curating them to give the ‘gift shop’ appeal like you mentioned, maybe try to use a colour theme so they belong together? From my own experience of fairs I’ve found it vital to have lots of smaller, cheaper items along side more expensive ones, otherwise it’s hard to make any money.

(Roz) #3

Thanks for your feedback. It is mainly general craft fairs I go to. I do lots of other felting besides the pictures; garlands, fairies, felted soaps, animal models etc and intend to do more!
Maybe I will continue to offer a selection but just cut down on the number of each item I put out.

(Helen Smith) #4

You can always keep extra stuff under the table to fill gaps or for those people who want ‘exactly that but in blue’ :wink:

(Louise Grace Jewellery) #5

Im a regular shopper at craft fairs, I’ve never tried selling at them, and I have to say that I love tables that have a variety of items for sale. If you feel you have a cluttered look to your table I would suggest picking 1 ‘high end’ showcase piece from each type of craft and surrounding it with other items, keeping others to the side so you can re-stock as items are sold. I find I stop at tables where there is an amazing piece of work that takes pride of place on the table and am more likely to look at the other items surrounding it because that showcase piece highlights the quality of your work.

I dont know if that makes sense to anyone else :smile: but if I was to sell at a fair thats how I would set my table

(Mandie Bailey) #6

I’ve found at craft fairs that you need to have a variety of products that can create an ‘impulse’ purchase as well as key pieces that catch the eye. You just have to ensure your table is easy to shop from (not too cluttered) with a good variety of styles and price points. I know it’s hard not to put everything out just in case a sale is made (especially as you grow the size of your range), but a critical eye is important. Sometimes before a fair I will set up my table at home and look at it from a customer’s point of view to see if the layout works well. Good luck!

(Grimm Exhibition) #7

I took alot of items at the first fair I attended last year. By chance I took some xmas decs and 99% of the items I sold were these decorations.
So, obviouly the season can effect what you take.
I took alot of items and thinking back I should have simplified it.
I make and sell cushions from £10-£30, I took them and none sold. I think most people are looking to spend £10 or under, little things. Stocking fillers around Xmas time.
I noticed at a fair that a lady that made little gift boxes sold quite a few so Ive gone on a mission and Ive started to make lots of bxes to try to sell, also I need to make sure i make items that fit in the boxes.
Also write a list of what you sell so you know tomake more and try to work out why they are popular. I made a nuber of the Xmas decs I mentioned above but the Father Christmas and Snowmen designs sold the most, so this year I know what to make and take.
I waffle on about my boxes on my blog http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/ and here on my fb page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Poisoned-Apple-Theatre-All-sorts-of-Crafts/102785243100696

(Pennyjanedesigns) #8

Hi Roz. Yay! Another feltmaker! I struggle with taking stuff off the table at fairs. It is so difficult when you have done all that work and want to show all of it! I am working on having an area which everything works together like a ‘lifestyle’ photo and then putting things out in a more orderly fashion elsewhere. Often telling browsers that you have other colours available can be a good ice breaker too!

(Roz) #9

Hello fellow felter! Just been over to your shop for a look around. Love your daffodil brooches. I am totally addicted to felting, both needle felting and wet felting, and have so many ideas buzzing around in my head. Not sure where to start with them all!

(Louise Amond) #10

Lots of great advice here
I have a theme running through my table at a craft fair which works well for me and within that a range if products for dogs and humans.
But I do find having a range of prices is really helpful too. Also the little bits often help people spend more!
Sometimes I can’t fit all of my dog collars on the collar stand so I have some extra behind which is a great way to start chatting to people about different colours, sizes etc…
Good luck with it all :blush: