Whats the best way to display items on my folksy?

I’ve been on folksy for 2 years but had my brain surgery done 9 months ago. I’m now trying to get back into it properly to start selling my handmade items. I’m not doing well on how to display whilst taking the photo of an item. I’d really appreciate any ideas how to do it. :slight_smile:

Personally I’d go for a lighter contrasting background as most of your items are dark. This would make them stand out better. You could cover the wall with a light creamy coloured card (I’ve started to stick some watercolour paper to the wall behind mine) and try taking the photo from an angle to get some extra interest and gradation of light.

Some of your close ups are blurred. Do you use a tripod and a 2 second delay on your camera? That gets rid of camera shake. Also, I do my close ups without zoom and then crop on my pc as sometimes it won’t focus properly if I zoom in too much.

Hope that helps, good luck!

1 Like

Hello Liz,
If you take a look at the seller tips on the Folksy blog you will find lots of useful posts there about photographing products. http://blog.folksy.com/category/seller-tips

I find it best to use as much natural light as possible, so maybe on a table by a window or a sunny windowsill or even outside if the weather allows it (not today though :frowning: ). Also a white or lighter background would enhance your products. Some of the dark tones get a bit lost against the dark background. Try using a macro setting (if your camera has one) for close up shots so that they are crisp and not blurry. I think the long 4 heart hanging on the brick wall works well as it shows the full product in the type of place where it might be displayed.

It all just takes a lot of practice and trying out different things.

I love the rustic look of your work and the materials you use…reminds me of Autumn my favourite time of year :smile:

Good luck with your shop
Angela

1 Like

Thank you so much for replying to me. Brilliant info given to me. As soon as I’ve fed and sorted my rescue guinea pigs I’ll try ands out it out. Thanks again.

This picture looks good. It looks like you took it outside so you had natural light? That always looks better than the light you get from standard household lightbulbs. I think the brick also makes a good backdrop for your natural items.

If you have a wooden table or tray (or something white perhaps) as a base for the shot you could try putting that outside against that same brick background and take some photos that way … see how they come out?

At the start for me it was just trial and error until I found a way of taking shots that worked for me. Don’t be afraid to just try different, random things. Look around your house for different areas that get natural light and at what times of day are best for those areas (you don’t want strong sunlight though, as this causes too many shadows) and different surfaces and props you could use in your shots. Eventually you’ll find something that works for you. :slight_smile:

http://folksy.com/items/5632931-Hanging-heartshapes

2 Likes

Hi Liz

As your items are made mainly from natural components I’d go for a natural looking background, also much paler. Something like hessian or muslin would be good. I always use a tripod (can’t hold a camera steady! :-)) and, as I’m lucky enough to have a small conservatory, I always do my photos in there as the light is so much better.

Good luck on your return. I found it took a while before I could produce photos that I was happy with, so hang on in there!

Regards
Carol
https://beta.folksy.com/shops/OrganizedChaos

Hiya

I got a super little tripod that screws to the bottom of my camera, it was a £1 in poundland and is perfect for helping me reduce shake.

Rachel

Thanks for replying I really appreciate all the info :slight_smile:

Thanks I think that’s the problem I’ve had natural products just been able to think straight, I’ll have a go