Which other craft or art process would

you like to learn? I know that there are hardly enough hours in the day as it is, but if you had time (or money no object) what other crafts would you want to give a go?

I would really like to try silversmithing and also try a little more printmaking.
I’ve always fancied going on a silversmithing course as I would love to make my own jewellery (especially earrings).
Pintmaking would be really useful to incorporate into my pottery. I do look up little techniques online but it would be nice to be fully immersed into a course. I do a little bit of lino cutting but nothing advanced.

2 Likes

I want to do mosaic. I really really do and even have things I need to get started … ( including scrap glass and nuggets and millefiori) but … always something else which needs doing first

2 Likes

I’d love to pot, especially using a wheel. At the moment I’ve taken over my daughter’s fimo, and am making little figures.

1 Like

Can I count wallpapering as a craft :laughing:?

6 Likes

Pottery. Ceramics and the making of them . My brother has a degree is ceramic art and design and he tells me all about glazes and such like. It’s a fascinating subject.

1 Like

I’d like to try fused glass or ceramics if I had the time.

2 Likes

I have done most crafts but I would like to have a huge weaving loom and also do some rag rugging. Sadly both too expensive for me.

2 Likes

Needle-felting and crochet because they’d both fit well with what I already do. I’ve wanted to learn to crochet for a long time - I can knit, but crocheted pieces always seems much more decorative and pretty than knitted ones.

Ever since I started watching the pottery throw down, I’ve wanted to have a go at throwing a pot. I imagine I’d just end up with a complete mess though! :rofl:

2 Likes

You probably can, you will be skilled … but…
. I have a little story here…
my first mother-in-law (aka ‘the witch’) proudly showed us the wallpapering she had just had done in the living room.
The living room had a picture rail right round (remember those ?) The wall paper was a sort of sea scene, little sailing boats dotted here and there.
The wall paper width was exactly that of the wall above the picture rail… and yes…
. under the rail the paper was correctly hung down the wall so the boats sailed on the water.
Above the rail they were at 90 degrees…I leave you to imagine it and also what was said :rofl:

4 Likes

I’d like to try more wood work. I made a stand recently when I couldn’t find the size I wanted to buy for a reasonable price. I’m very fortunate there’s a maker space in Liverpool that has lots of different tools so I don’t need to invest.

8 Likes

That is brilliant. I have a Bob to do woodwork… His father was a cabinet maker and Bob still has all his tools and can turn his hand to most things if asked nicely.

2 Likes

Thanks Joy. My father was a cabinet maker too.

2 Likes

Helen @PocketfulCreations …I tried pottery and went to evening classes for a year. Firstly they wanted me to make a coil pot…I told the teacher that this is what they did in infant school…( lol) I wanted to make a fairy house and she told me that SHE was the teacher, so I told her that I was paying her wages…I made a fairy house…( always the rebel). However, I hated getting my hands dirty and got even more put off when told about certain materials that could be dangerous if sniffed and that every time we touched something we had to wash our hands so as not to breathe anything in…1 year was enough for me…but I DO have a beautiful fairy house ha ha.

5 Likes

Love it :slight_smile: I used to be pretty good with making things out of wood years ago but I wouldn’t even know where to start now.
I remember being quite self sufficient and even built a stud wall with a window and doorway in my first studio when I first left Uni! I do like a good power tool but I’m always a bit overwhelmed with the thought of starting a big project now. It’s easier to get Mr DP to do it for me…lol!

3 Likes

I love your rebellious streak Brenda @teabreaks! It’s a shame that the teacher put you off of pottery though. Yes, there are quite a few health and safety procedures to consider when using certain materials but once you know what’s what - it’s not that big a thing!

3 Likes

Hahaha Brenda, that’s given me a chuckle :joy: I do love your stories :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: @JOYSofGLASS that’s hilarious, I would have loved to have seen it.

My mum always did the wallpapering in our house while Dad did the painting, but one day mum had to go out in the middle of a project so dad thought he’d help out and papered one wall for her. Beautiful job. All upside down. He stuck to painting from then on.

I’m pretty good at wallpapering although I find it hard work now, but it I had my time again I would go to college and learn it as a trade.

2 Likes

Morning All,

Such a lot of great ideas to try! I’d love to learn to draw, there are lots of times when I’d love to get the pictures in my head onto paper but whenever I try it always goes a bit wrong :rofl:

Cheers Lou

2 Likes

I have tried most crafts in my lifetime but I would have loved to try glass blowing. I feel that I’m now too old, weak and wouldnt have the puff to do a good job. I do make glass beads, it’s amazing working with molten glass.
Next on my list would be to paint, which I do occasionally and I even went to art college, but I’d love to find my own unique style.

2 Likes

I blew a glass ball at Xmas with my daughters in Bath. Great fun but I won’t be taking it up as a new career.

4 Likes