Craft Book recommendations please!

Hi lovely Folksy Folk! We’re currently compiling a reading list for Craft Books to Read in 2023 and we’d love to hear your suggestions :blush: What’s on your ‘to read’ list? Did you have a favourite book from 2022? Let us know!

We may use your recommendations and comments (with a link to your Folksy shops) in our blog post.

2 Likes

On my ‘to read’ list is ceramicist Keith Brymer-Jones’ autobiography ‘Boy in a China Shop’. He is the co-presenter of The Great Pottery Throwdown on Channel 4, and is known for breaking down in tears (in a good way!) when he sees the contestants’ ceramic creations. I’ve read a few snippets and heard him talk about his life and it should be a fascinating read, even for non-pottery people.

5 Likes

Another great read of interest to jewellers and anyone who works with metal (alongside ceramics I also trained in silver smithing) is a book called Color on Metal (it’s american hence the spelling). The sub title is: ‘50 artists share insights and techniques’ and it is truly inspirational and innovative covering everything from patination through enamelling and silver inlaid with glass beads. I would show a couple of pages from the book, but I’m not sure whether I’m allowed to do that re copyright etc. Written by Tim McCreight and Nicole Bsullak and published by Guild Publishing. I’ve had a copy for many years and am not sure whether it’s still in print, but worth hunting down a pre-loved copy if you can get your hands on one via Abe Books or similar.

3 Likes

The ones I go back to all the time are the Victoria and Stampington publication books, by Hearst. Where Women Create Craft Rooms is fantastic. Book of Inspiration, Inspiring Work Spaces, Business of Bliss.

3 Likes

My favourite crafting book from last year was Shelley Rhodes ‘Fragmentation and Repair’ - a world away from the products I make to sell, but full of wonderful ideas for experimentation with fabric, paper and found objects. I took it on holiday in the autumn and am still tinkering with a stitched piece incorporating beachcombing finds. Very inspiring and satisfying, even if I never really finish it!

3 Likes

I like ‘Big Magic’ by Elizabeth Gilbert. It’s offers great advice about how to see the whole process of writing but creating in general too.

3 Likes

Any ‘Robert Harbin’ Origami book is usually good with nice models and sensible instructions and for watercolour techniques ‘Rowland Hilder’ books are also a great starting point. These books are old but very good and can be picked up second hand.

2 Likes

I may be slightly biased but my sister has written and released an amazing needlepoint book called Needlepoint: A Modern Stitch Directory by Emma Homent, which is proving very popular it’s full of instructions for different needlepoint stitches and there’s loads of great contemporary projects to make too!

You can find out a bit more about here: Book — The Makers Marks

4 Likes

I have a large collection of craft books, one of the things I can’t resist buying but actually never have time to read. We have recently put up more shelving to accommodate them all and i have some beautiful books on embroidey that i have only ever flicked through. My favourite though is The Art of AnneMieke Mein, her work is simply amazing and I love flicking through the pictures of her stunning work, one day I will put my sewing down and make time to read it. I also started reading about the life of William Morris, one of my favourite all time artists, perhaps I will make it my aim to pick it back up this year and get past chapter one.

2 Likes

Gosh Debby @Bearlescent I’ve just had a look at Annemieke Mein’s work - it really is wonderful. Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to loaning Molly Egan’s books from the library soon -
Sketch like no one is watching
& Sketchbook Challenge

1 Like

Some beautuful books on my shelf that I would recommend; these are some of my favourites
Embroiderec Landscapes, Judy Wilford
Stitch and Structure, Jean draper
Hand stitched landscapes & flowers, Katrina Witten
FELT to stitch, Sheila Smith
Surfaces to Stitch, Gwen Hadley
Fabric Art journals, Pam Sussman
Mixed media Explorations, Beryl Taylor
Diane Grant Canvaswork stitches

Miniature needlepoint carpets Janet Granger
Dolls house needlecraft, Venus Dodge
Dolls house interiors Carol and Nigel Lodder

Designing the Doll susanna Oroyan