Wood glue help please

I have an original nest of tables, Ercol brand, from the 50s, and the glue has finally failed on one if the legs. I picked it up to move it and the leg fell off.

Could any woodworkers advise me on which wood glue to buy please? I’m bamboozled by the choice. Not my territory at all, so I’d be truly thankful for advice.

1 Like

Whilst I don’t sell my wood work projects I do plenty of them (I make all my own display stands), I use a pva wood glue from my local screwfix (no nonsense brand at the moment but I’ve used others in the past). Make sure you remove any old glue/ dirt from the joint before reglueing and clamp it for 24 hours to ensure the glue has fully dried before moving (that might prove tricky depending on the size/ shape of the table).

1 Like

Clamping may well be tricky. Thank you!

1 Like

Just ensure you scrape out the old glue from the leg top and the socket, I would use a PU polyurethene glue which expands a little during setting, dampen the socket and only use a little, pop the leg in and set the chair on its legs and add a bit of weight. Keep the glue off your hands- it does not come off!

1 Like

Thank you very much. Im still too feart to have done it, coward that i am.

If you in Hampshire I might be able to pop round and sort it for you

Oh if only…im in scotland!

Id use titebond or gorilla glue (the white stuff) clean out the joints glue up leave for 48hrs to be sure

Thanks PurpleDragon. My friend had a look and it was a small wood wedge that had fallen out, so he fixed it for me. It’s good as new.

1 Like