Your thoughts about joining Meta App "Threads"?

Hi all!
With the Meta App “Threads” launching tomorrow 6/7, I was wondering what is everyone thinking. Give it a go or give it a miss? Apparently it’s “twitter” like app, and comes out as the possible big rival, (at least this how they advertise it).
I am not on twitter, but I am seriously thinking of joining this one, as it will be from zero for everyone. Ok I’m not gonna reach a million followers as soon as I join like the celebrities, and I will be probably hanging around with 0 for a few days or even weeks, but if I can join with my page name, then I’ll give it a go. I love cross stitching and crocheting a lot more than talking, so I guess “Threading” might suit me more than “Tweeting”! :rofl:
What do you guys think?

Not sure whether it’s worth it - doesn’t look like you can load photos which is pointless for selling, and it’s also designed to scrape data off your phone.

Didn’t know the “photo” issue… I need to do my homework around it I guess… Very surprising as I thought this is a must have feature to have now, with people sharing photos of absolutely everything!

Hi Ya,

I hadn’t heard of this & just had a look at it! Looking at the app on the app store on my phone is looks like it wants to collect way too much personal information that I’m not happy giving - there’s 14 items on their listed including Health and Fitness and Financial Info (both of which I really don’t want Meta having access to).

So my personal feeling is, I won’t have this app unless there is a way to opt out of letting them taking this much of my data!

Cheers Lou

2 Likes

It’s a text-based conversation app. Meta owns Instagram so there wouldn’t be any point for them to create another photo-based platform.

1 Like

cannot find it in my store yet, but that’s quite a bit too much to give access to… :hushed:

1 Like

That’s the point of the app, and pretty much all social media apps. They don’t spend millions creating free social apps to make people’s lives more interesting, they spend millions creating free social apps to scrape personal information because that’s where the money is.

1 Like

true… I wasn’t paying attention to things like that to be honest, until my kids got tablets and I actually check what we put in them!

No not for me. Twitter and instagram are my main social media and wouldn’t have time or incentive for another one as well x

2 Likes

If you use Tweetdeck, be aware that they are putting that behind a paywall in a month’s time.

1 Like

I can’t stand twitter and overall not a huge social media fan but I think I’ll probably join it. I definitely won’t be using tiktok that’s for sure. I just don’t know how is best to get my business out there and known about to be honest.

I’m with you on the TikTok point. I did create a youtube channel where I started adding making of videos, but it just takes so much time. I will probably add a couple of reels there, because it was easier to do, so we will see… but TikTok… I’m not even thinking of going there…

1 Like

It’s a lot, although this morning I checked what it says FB and Insta collect and the list is the same, so they already have the means to get that information if I give it to them :roll_eyes:

Yeah, I also had a proper look this morning and saw that.
Also, I read that you can post photos and short videos. A couple of Folksy sellers that I follow on FB have already done their Threads profile and have photos, so what I read is true. So good for selling.
The only thing for me is that I don’t have Instagram, which you need to have apparently for joining Threads. I will probably give it a go after I get back from my holiday at the end of the month as it wouldn’t be wise to create profiles now and go missing for two weeks :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve joined and it’s literally just transferred all my Instagram information and followers etc, so it probably has all the information on me that I’ve already given permissions for!
It seems OK at the moment but not sure what the USP is - seems a bit samey as everything else.

2 Likes

Just considering whether to download “threads” and clog up my phone with yet another app. It seems to carry Instagram followers with it, which sounds like a good thing, but does it have any advantages over Instagram? Would be interested to hear experiences, positive or negative, of any “threads” users out there!

1 Like

I’m not feeling too inspired by it at the moment to be honest but maybe that’s because it’s so new and I’m not really sure what I’m doing!
I get the feeling, it’s more for sharing not just your work but other aspects of your life too - more like a bit of a chit-chat!
I do like that idea as I can be a bit of a rambler (not out in nature type of rambling!) and I don’t feel like I can do that on Instagram as people do like to keep their grids neat and tidy over there!
I don’t know how to find people or things I may be interested in on Threads though - I seem to just be seeing people I already follow on Instagram anyway. When I search for a certain word, it only shows me people with that word in their name but I want to see topics related to that word.
If anyone knows how to do that, can you let me know please :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s helpful. I’m on Twitter and have a separate band of followers to those on Instagram, so I’m not sure I would abandon Twitter in favour of Threads. Having yet another SM outlet to contend with all feels a bit much. I might leave things as they are for now.

2 Likes

I saw this today and started reading up on it but don’t really understand what i would need it for as I’m already on instagram, isn’t it similar but without the hashtags?
I use instagram most days, facebook less often and tried setting up twitter recently but didnt get far and havn’t been back.
I don’t have new items everday to share on social media so not sure what I could add to it, isnt it very similar to instagram whereby we add a picture then some text, would there be much point in duplicating the same info on another site.
For those sellers who already use twitter (which sounds similar) what do you post ? How much time do you need to spend on it and do you basically add the same post each day that you have already posted on instagram. (Just wondering, if I ?have the same followers will it be worth doing as they will be viewing the same post again).

1 Like

I joined up just to see what it’s like. It doesn’t seem to be going anywhere really. You’re right, there isn’t much point in duplicating and a lot of people are barrel scraping trying to find something to say. At least Twitter had the advantage of attracting a different set of followers. The “retweet” function on Twitter is one of the few advantages of the platform in that it can extend your reach a bit. Threads has that facility too but people don’t seem to be using it. It feels a bit of a dog’s breakfast. I think I’ll be sticking to Instagram and Facebook.

3 Likes