About to cry, those of us who knit and crochet

be very careful how you store your knitted and crochet items. Most of mine go into paper or cloth bags however I ran out and have some items in a thick plastic shopping bag.

Those item now smell weird and I’m in the process of washing them.

DH says it’s because they are recylcing type bag that biodegrade as they do they release smelly chemicals grrrrrrrrrr so annoyed with myself. I should have run up a few more cloth bags to store them.

So beware and don’t get caught out like I’ve just been.
I only found out as I was searching for an item I’ve just sold and looked into the wrong bag and pulling a few out and noticed a faint smell. The one in cloth bags and paper bags are as fresh as the day I created them thankfully… Still I have now to wash 5hats, two pair of gloves and an ear warmer. :frowning:

1 Like

I store my knit wear in large ziplock freezer bags with lavender sachets to stop the moths and keep them fresh whilst being stored over the summer. I’ve never had a problem but shall steer clear of anything remotely biodegradable from now on. Thanks for the heads up.

Can’t you just give then an airing? @EileensCraftStudio

I did think about that but I don’t know how long that might take to get the smell out

thanks for the heads up Eileen…I know that I found some old carrier bags with photos in them, I picked them up and they just disintegrated tipping the contents all over the floor. I have a well known supermarket deliver my groceries…(starts with a T) and they now deliver my items in beautiful brown paper carrier bags…and no charge for them…sssh…I have loads of them now, so I will put my knitwear in those…thanks again !!

2 Likes

Vacuum storage bags is another good thing to use

Thanks for the heads up Eileen… Guess the same applies to fabric items. Time to run up a few protective covers for those too!!! xxx

Thanks for the heads up Eileen. I also store my knitwear in zip lock freezer bags and then they’re all stored in big plastic storage boxes. But that’s really handy to know. What a pain for you :frowning:

Natalie xx

I store my hand crochet and knitted items in white cotton pillowcases that I no longer use as bedding.

Oh no Eilleen, how horrible! I have used carriers to store things before and months or years later they have just flacked apart into confetti, they didn’t give off a smell though. Hope the washing helps.