Advice about custom order

Hi ,

If I get a request for a custom order, I usually make it, then list it so the buyer can have a look and is happy with end product before they buy it, but this is usually only with jewellery I could re-sell if they change their mind. This customer has requested a ring to be made which requires a little more work than usual. Should I request money up front ? as I’ve only made this ring once, I’m not sure if I should just wait until I’ve made it to make sure I can re-make it the same , list it and hope for the best

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, yes I would ask for part payment upfront, especially as it’ll be a item you can’t sell in your shop should things fall through.

Elaine

Personally I would ask for full payment up front

thanks @elliestreasures @millyandpip , I’ve asked for full payment up front. Always a first time for something !

2 Likes

I’ve never taken payment upfront, perhaps I should, I’ve done over 150 commissions locally and never taken a deposit even though many are personalised with embroidered names on paws etc. Luckily I’ve never had a problem but perhaps with those that couldn’t be resold on a deposit at least would be a good idea. I havn’t done many commissions on Folksy and those I have I created a listing when the item was finished ready for payment.

@Bearlescent Unfortunately I think it’s more necessary on Folksy (or other places online), as people are more likely to just disappear and stop responding. I imagine with local customers you have a bit more of a connection so they have a bit more respect for you… but with a stranger on the other side of a computer, as nice as they seem with their first messages, they don’t always follow up with buying if they haven’t paid anything.

Of course you can get some wonderful customers online too, but unless it’s something you can sell in your shop if they don’t come back, I’d get at least partial payment just in case.

I still always send photos when I think it’s finished to make sure the customer is happy though, even if they’ve already paid everything, then I can make changes if necessary. Of course, it’s probably a lot easier for me to tweak details on a painting than it is for you to tweak a ring!

1 Like

Yes I think in the future I will ask for a deposit for online orders as it is different to making them for locals. My local customers oftenmpop to see me and choose fabrics, discuss requirements etc but very different dealing online although Inhave just done a commission rabbit via Folksy and everythine went perfect. I always send photos of the finished itemmto the customer. I will do a deposit listing in future if they are new customers unknown to me.