All Stuck Up - Help!

I decided to make a couple of bags with metal frames, the ones that you glue on. I’ve used the sew-on ones before, but just wanted to try the glue-on ones as they look so neat. Well, they usually do, but I seem to have glued everything to them except the bag…and am now wearing half a tube of glue!

What’s the secret? Will someone share their tips for getting the bag into the frame without sticking it to the table/my lap/my hands/the cat…? Please?

3 Likes

Hi Christine @ciesse, I know the feeling well! :slight_smile:

I always use Gutermans textile glue, I know many tutorials tell you to glue both the frame and the fabric but I’ve found that this results in me getting in a right mess, So I now just glue the frame. I’ve also learned that it’s easier to start feeding the bag into the frame at the centre and work along to the sides.

Hope this helps. One more tip - push a length of narrow piping cord into the frame before the glue dries ( from the inside of the frame ), this helps to secure everything nice and tight.

Lin

I use guttemans too. Same as @wildrosedesigns I glue the frames only. I then use a kebab sewer to push the fabric into the frame. My purses are usually lined so they have a nice snug fit.

Oh, thank you Lin, I knew someone would come along and save me from this sticky mess!

I’m using Gutermans (it is very sticky isn’t it?) but did glue both frame and fabric, so I think that’s where I went wrong. I’ll have another go tomorrow, and follow your tips…thank you so much. :smile:

Thank you Helen, another saviour!

I’m pretty sure you meant ‘skewer’ rather than ‘sewer’ (a kebab sewer really doesn’t bear thinking about) :smile: and that’s a brilliant idea - I used my little scissors and ended up with those stuck to the frame too!

1 Like

Hi, although I don’t do purses I’ve often wondered how it was done. I would definitely have had glue everywhere! I’ll stick to knitting. Liz

My hubby makes steampunk masks over on the “other” site he uses UHU but is often in a sticky mess, will gutermans glue work for PVC and leather? I hate all things sticky that’s why I stick to metal!

I use specific leather glue for my leather - but to be honest, i don’t find it;s that great. So i am thinking of using my gutermans. I’ll let you know…

1 Like