Am I rude?

OH and I went to the Dentist earlier and whilst we were waiting I was reading a book and he was reading the paper, on our smartphones. A little boy and his mother came in and he said loudly “why are those people on their phones?” And she replied "I don’t know darling, because they are rude"
Were we being rude? Would it still have been rude if we were reading a hard copy book and paper?

2 Likes

I think the lady was rude to make that comment. Cheeky thing :flushed:

4 Likes

I don’t think that is rude. They had nothing to do with you. And if one of them had spoken to you I bet you would have put it down.
Just ignore it

1 Like

I guess it depends how loudly you were talking on your phones (if you were talking on them). I would consider having a conversation (either in person or on the phone) at a volume where I could make out all the details a bit inconsiderate regardless of the location. I would also include in that listening to music on headphones at such a volume that I can make out the lyrics as inconsiderate. If you were talking quietly or using your phone for other things then I don’t see the issue.

We weren’t talking on them at all Sasha, I was reading an ebook and Oh was reading a digital paper. :neutral_face: I could have understood her comment if we were both chatting away or even texting. But we were sitting quietly reading :neutral_face:

Since you were both quietly reading you weren’t rude at all! No different to leafing through a magazine. She was rude for making the comment.

3 Likes

Perhaps she mistakened the waiting room as her living room? I could then see her point.

3 Likes

No you were not being rude, I don’t think I could of ignored it, I probably would of said something like…,'please don’t jump to conclusions or teach your child to judge without knowing details’
I read from my phone while waiting for appointments as does my 6 year old grandson.

1 Like

Then I really don’t see the problem - surely they are the rude ones by having a conversation at a volume which disturbs others? My OH and I regularly ignore each other by mutual agreement in favour of reading when we are in waiting areas, after almost 18 years together I think we have run out of things to say to each other.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was too shocked at the time to say anything and have been sitting at home thinking about it. I was even starting to think I may have been rude. I wish I had said something now.

People are ignorant. They assume you should act the way they think you should act.
Don’t let her upset you because she is the rude one and it means her son will grow up thinking strange things

Even if you was texting, it has nothing to do with anyone but you. It’s no different to being sat there and for instance filling in an application to join the dental surgery. Ignore them. x @RedDragonDesigns

1 Like

How rude of her to comment like that - and no example to her little boy. Tut to her. I can not imagine why on earth she thought reading an ebook was rude.

Maybe she was just a bit distraught the fact she couldn’t see your screen? LOL :grin:

1 Like

Nothing rude at all. Such a shame the mum is setting the kid a bad example. People don’t tend to chat in waiting rooms so its not somewhere you’d go for a face to face, in depth conversation. Very odd indeed.

Maybe she considered you rude for reading your own book rather than the 6 years out of date magazines that they provide in most waiting rooms :grinning:

2 Likes

Nothing rude at all if anything the lady was rude.
I would of understood if you was talking on the phone it really annoys me when people talk on there phone at the tills in shops :grimacing: now that is rude.

1 Like

No not rude it was not as if you were at a social event. Then it would be rude not to excuse yourself and go to one side or out of the room to take a phone call or read something on your mobile device had you been in a social setting.

Also I have no problem with people talking on their phones either. It doesn’t even bother me if they are a bit loud this is because not everyone has perfect hearing so I simply think oh dear poor person doesn’t hear too well.

Totally not rude. She was rude. And clearly teaching her child to be rude.
I would have said something.
But I don’t understand why a person being on their phone is rude to be honest. Not sure if I’m of the generation where by I just simply don’t care about that sort of thing- I’m 27- I had my first mobile phone at 12. Granted smart phones took a lot longer to come out, but people have much shorter attention spans these days (all people I find) nothing wrong with entertaining yourself with something on your phone. I am frequently on things like the BBC news app, or things like Instagram- or this forum right now. :stuck_out_tongue: Whatever I choose to do has nothing to do with anyone else. Everything I do on my phone is silent (I don’t sit and watch videos etc- my phone lives on silent!- I don’t even know what my ring tone is!) so yup- in my view she was the rude one.
I’m the sort of person who mulls things over like that as well!- for hours, even sometimes days! Haha

1 Like

Very odd! I can’t think how reading an e-book, or even texting or talking on the phone could be rude, especially in a waiting room. It would not be impolite to carry out a normal conversation with somebody sat next to you, so how could looking at an i-phone be rude? Talking loudly about somebody else when not talking to them is certainly rude, however.

Love Sam x

1 Like