Folksy Ltd

Another Facebook hoax

(Heidi Meier) #1

There’s yet another of those posts doing the rounds saying FB is going to delete inactive users and therefore reduce the number of likes in your page. These types of posts are either spam or hoaxes.

If Facebook was planning such an exercise, it would be announced in their newsroom, via a press release. No communication comes out of any corporate, let alone one the size of FB, without being vetted by the Media Relations team.

The easiest way to check if something is genuine, is to look at the FB newsroom, and then google FB hoax and 99 times out of 100 you’ll find a reference to something either current or that was doing the rounds years ago.

You can now report such posts - see http://newsroom.fb.com/news/2015/01/news-feed-fyi-showing-fewer-hoaxes/ for info on how you can.

Hope this alleviates any concerns other Folksyers may have.

(Bobbys Boutique) #2

Last week, I had this message at the top of my insights page “We’ve recently updated the way we measure how many people like your Page. Pages may see a decrease in likes after 12 March, when we removed likes from inactive Facebook accounts” I have no idea how that message could appear on my insight page if it had not been put there by Facebook. I know lots of page owners also had the same message on their insights page. I guess in two days time we’ll find out…

(Sara Leigh Thornton) #3

Yes, I had that on my page too. It does seem that FB will be removing likes from inactive accounts, and to be honest, I can’t see what the problem is with that. Yes, it may reduce out number of page likes a bit, but if those likes are from accounts that aren’t used/following our pages anyway, they certainly aren’t going to be interacting with our pages or spreading the word about our pages in their newsfeed, so it really doesn’t make any real difference.

(Jo Sara) #4

It does look genuine, there’s a bit about it in Facebook’s business section - https://www.facebook.com/business/news/page-likes-update - and I agree it can only be good for getting your reach out to the people who actually want it.

Jo

(Heidi Meier) #5

Thanks @JoSara - that explains things nicely. If you no longer use Facebook then your like will disappear from page counts, which seems fair enough.

I’ve seen so many posts recently from people saying that unless I like their posts going forward, then Facebook will delete my like from the page because I will be deemed ‘inactive’. That would never happen, as FB already has a strategy in place for pages which we don’t interact with: it simply reduces the number of posts it shows us moving forwards.

I think this is good news all round although as I don’t have thousands of likes I’m hoping it doesn’t make much difference…

(Liz Clark) #6

I think some people misunderstood what was happening, had a panic, and it’s then spiralled from there. Some networking pages I belong to, even the admin fall for some of the hoaxes which just adds another layer of “authenticity”.

Will be interesting to see how many likes will drop on my page! Although as agreed on here, likes are not the be-all and end-all, it’s interaction (hopefully leading to sales!) that counts. :smile:

(Jan Ryan) #7

When I first seen these posts on fb I googled it to see what it was all about, there are lots of info about it and it all sounds like it’s going to be a good thing. :slight_smile:

(Bobbys Boutique) #8

I clicked on the likes section on my insights page today and there was a little dotted line from today’s date with a note on top, when I scrolled over the note it read: “Page likes from people with deactivated Facebook accounts were removed to ensure that your page like count is accurate”. I have lost only one like so far, just thought you guys might like to know. As we all seem to agree, losing likes from inactive accounts is no big deal, as it has no impact at all on business, but I’m still glad my number of likes didn’t go down with a big scary bump as expected. :smiley: Just wondering if you guys had similar results too?..

(Helen McCartney Designs) #9

Mine says this “We’ve recently updated the way we measure how many people like your Page. Pages may see a decrease in likes after 12 March, when we removed likes from inactive Facebook accounts.”

It would be good if there aren’t many losses of likes to my page after the 12th. Fingers, legs,arms, eyes and everything else crossed… :smile:

(Bobbys Boutique) #10

Seems they have done mine a day early, and my sister’s too - she only lost one too :smiley:

Hope it’s a similar tale for everyone, I was expecting much worse :heart:

(Heidi Meier) #11

I checked mine and it looks as though 1 like is being removed from mine too, which isn’t much at all. Would still like to know who that was though!!