Are Sales Slow for Everyone?

Hopefully it will start to pick up again. I’ve never been that busy on Folksy but that’s my fault for not promoting at all, just sharing to Pinterest once I’ve listed something new. I don’t think it’s just slow online, people I know with bricks & mortar shops have been really quiet too.

Alex

3 Likes

I promote Folksy on FB, Instagram, Pinterest etc. And still it doesn’t improve. I see little point in paying £5 a month for the premium membership at this rate. Each item I post out over on the other place I put a flyer for Folksy in there to try to get people to buy from here. But to no avail. I have no idea why. Surely, it should be better than this?

4 Likes

UK. I don’t sell abroad. I’m a star seller over there as my sale are pretty good. I just don’t understand why UK people don’t support Folksy. Perhaps we sellers need to have a big drive to promote it. If Folksy asked me to pay towards an advertising fund for a TV promotion, I’d do it. I have no idea how many sellers Folksy has but it must be quite a few. It’s such a shame, as the customer service here is so good and it deserves to do better for all of us.

4 Likes

Can anyone tell me where and when Folksy actually promotes itself? I’ve never seen anything anywhere. Is it just social media?

3 Likes

I’ve just decked over to Twitter and there are very few retweets or likes for Folksy. If you have a Twitter account, then perhaps get on there and retweet some and like some more of what they are putting out there.

For Pinterest use photo badges rather than just photos. I’ve started doing this.

I agree with JOYSofGLASS. The last few weeks have been very quiet. Having said that, I’m not really pushing sales. No-one knows how these news stories will affect us. Stories of power bills going up 5 times normal rate…? We won’t know until those bills come in. Just keep creating and keep the faith.

I definitely get more interest from Instagram than facebook. I like the ‘instant’ photos of your products and a link to Folksy. It’s much more immediate and you don’t need to scroll through loads of posts and comments.

4 Likes

Snap, I too have been renovating a house for the last year and have been posting on insta fairly regularly, forums, hashtagging folksy, facebook etc and harldy any sales.
I had a really good sale last week for the first time in ages but other than that - dead. I am seriously considering leaving Folksy too after Christmas if it carries on like this.
More interest on the other side for me too but even that varies.
Good luck and hope it picks up for you. I really don’t have any answers.

3 Likes

What’s the other side please I’ve had no sales

Angela the other side is the other online Marketplace, but I felt they got too big for their boots. I suppose you could compare them with The Postcode Lottery and the National Lottery… I know which one I prefer… more chance of winning with the former.

2 Likes

I’m glad I found this post as i’m going through exactly the same! My sales have completely stopped but I can’t work out why. I do try and promote everyday on Instagram, my business facebook page, facebook online market groups and local selling pages, so i’m promoting a lot, I could do more but i’m already spending more time promoting than making! Unfortunately i’ve never tried to sell on the other side but I’m seriously considering it after Christmas. Such a shame as I love Folksy and the fab community and would really like to keep this as my main selling platform.

6 Likes

It’s interesting to see this thread; my sales have been really poor on Folksy this year, whilst I’ve continued to sell steadily on my other online shop (all my marketing is geared towards Folksy). I consider Folksy as my main shop as it has my full range but it is fairly demoralising at the moment!

3 Likes

I think people are afraid to spend …. And I am one of them!

3 Likes

I bought all my Christmas gifts on line at artisan sites like this one last year and I intend to do the same this year. I have to say that everyone was amazed with their presents and felt they had been chosen with a lot of thought. It’s easy to go buy something from a shop, but a hand made item is special.

11 Likes

Yes sales a little slow, but at least it gives me time to finish my Christmas Collection. I also think people are waiting for all the Christmassy things to appear.

1 Like

So slow they are non existent and I’m kind of running out of motivation.

4 Likes

Slow for me too! I’ve tried a few times “over on the other side” but it feels so daunting starting up as it’s absolutely saturated with glass makers. I have another shop on a different site too which I don’t think I’ll continue with. I love Folksy and being in the Folksy family, I’m staying put!

4 Likes

Rising gas and electricity prices will have a big effect on costs for ceramicists. I fire to 1185 degrees C over a period of about 11 hours in an electric kiln, and every piece is fired twice.

4 Likes

I’ve emptied my shop here due to no sales. I do ok on the other side. I love folksy but if I’m not selling then it’s pointless. I do keep my eye in here in case it picks up but it’s been quiet for a few years now.

3 Likes

I love Folksy so much and have resisted joining the other online place, but I have reached the point where sales are very slow for me too and I’m very tempted to stray. They did pick up a bit at the end of August but have slumped down to a few here and there (better than nothing I know!) I might just experiment on the other side, though it does feel like I’ll be a very small fish swimming in a very large sea -a bit daunting!

If anyone does have a shop other than folksy, do you list all the same items in both shops, and quickly delete or remove when a sale happens (would need to be very organised :grin: ) , or have different items for each shop?

1 Like