Art Chat: January 2015

I use daler-rowney designer gauche. To be honest, its not my favourite medium. I only use it in two colours, a flesh tone, and permanent white. I use it for adding highlights and texture, I know most watercolour artists simplify images, but I love detail, creating every hair, every feather with brushstrokes.

I love it for how I use it, but can be frustrating when adding to an almost completed painting, due to its nature, and movement with water.

I would suggest playing around with it, before committing it to work. I made that mistake, but it soon becomes easily workable, or at least did for me.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing how it goes.

And thank you very much! x

Wow Hayley I love that kingfisher! :slight_smile:

Just had a look around your shop, I love all your work especially the cats.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I do enjoy painting cats, trying to capture their personalities, its all in the eyes

Good morning gang :smile:

Iā€™m being chauffeured into town this morning and then picked up later so I will take my sketch diary as I need to catch up on yesterdayā€™s sketch (as well as do todayā€™s). Inspiration only hit me at 10pm last night when daughter Kit was cutting hearts out of an apple and giving them to me :heart: but I was too tired to sketch it at that time zzzz

Hayley I think the one tube of gouache that I own might be the same brand, I seem to recall it has the word designer on the tube. Whatā€™s your daily painting going to be today?

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong, mineā€™s W&N designer gouache. Iā€™ve just ordered a set of ten more, and also some iridescent oil pastels to play with - I have some ideas for using the oil pastels with watercolour :smiley:

Just listed these flowers

I opened a Folksy store a few days ago and still finding my way around. Good to see a forum category about art chat and look forward to getting to know people better :smile:
Bee

2 Likes

Welcome Bee, Iā€™m Stephie :slight_smile: Your artwork is lovely, I especially love your impressionist seascape - Iā€™m very fond of the seaside.

Lovely flowers Stephie :smile:

Hi Bee, I love your seascape too, you have some really lovely art in your shop, good luck! :smile:

Just a quick pop in ā€¦

Waving all and hello Hayley and Bee :slight_smile:

Lovely work everyone - that kingfisher is very nice :smile:
I have some new Spring inspired pictures to show but the light is not good here today very grey so no photos yet !!!

1 Like

Stephanie, Louisa, Hazel! Many thanks for the welcome :blush: Itā€™s interesting to see so many ACEOs in some shopsā€¦ some lovely little gems! Havenā€™t done anything so small for quite a while. Feeling quite inspired to try a few.

2 Likes

evening all, welcome Bee @StudioBeeArt and Hayley @helloiamHayley. Waving to everyone, Hi Sara @DandelionsGallery, nice to see you back here. Iā€™m in the process of moving offices in work, Iā€™m moving back to an office closer to home which will be lovely, already shaved an hour off travel time and thereā€™s a fab little art shop in the town so Iā€™ll have plenty to browse in the lunchtimes lol!.

No new art to show yet but I have been having a practice with acrylics and done a couple of butterflies, will take some pics at the weekend, next Iā€™m going to paint something BIG!

1 Like

Oh I do hope you paint some ACEOs. Iā€™ve collected several hundred of them, mostly from Folksy :slight_smile:

yes we love ACEOā€™s :slight_smile:

and i have painted a couple recently myself ā€¦ Bluebell wood and a night scene ā€¦ this is just a picture of them with my phone, the day is wet, cold and grey here so Iā€™ll wait to take some better pictures before listing them ā€¦

as you can see I also have lots of new wax to play with ā€¦

4 Likes

Ah bluebells Hazel! Iā€™ve had a thing for them this week too - I have a mini bluebell wood and an ACEO of bluebells waiting to be listed! Must be yearning for spring.

This is my listing for today, a Crosby beach mini painting

Just listed this
https://folksy.com/items/6587904-Lenten-Roses
I love hellebores :wink:

1 Like

Wow! Thatā€™s impressive Margaret. Do you display them or keep them in albums perhaps? Years ago when they first became popular, I went through a phase of painting that size, and one of my collectors used to mount them in 3s side by side and then frame to display on a wall. He sent me pics of what heā€™d done and I must say they looked super. Folksy has inspired me to work smaller again and when Iā€™ve finished my current project Iā€™ll get cracking.

Just now Iā€™m working on some pages for a sketchbook circle I belong to. I got to know a group of other students on my degree course and we have several sketchbooks circling around each month that we all work into. Itā€™s fun and inspiring! :blush:

Hazel your work is so pretty. I can only imagine how much skill is needed to create the effects. Your blocks of wax, and tools ā€¦ WONDERFUL! ā€¦ please donā€™t start me off with another art obsession LOL! :heart_eyes:
Bee

welcome Bee
waving everyone
Just listed this aceo

2 Likes

Gosh! itā€™s sold! That was quick.
Bee

1 Like