Be proactive rather than reactive, make a social media plan

I am a huge advocate for social media. Since starting my own business in 2012 I have spent a lot of time trying to get my head around how to use all the different tools, driving myself crazy trying to fit everything in and failng so never seeing any results and wondering why.
Generally, most of us take a splatter approach to marketing, doing a bit here and there when we see views and sales dropping, however for social media marketing to work you need to invest some time and the most important thing is to be consistent.

I found this article you might like to help you make a plan
https://blog.bufferapp.com/social-media-marketing-plan?utm_content=buffer3fbb9

What is starting to work for me is to plan my marketing and really think who my customers are, what they want to see and when they want to see it. I am trying to develop a content marketing approach, engaging potential customers with content they might like to engage them and ultimately drive sales.
My other tip is to focus on what works for you, you don’t need to be part of every social media platform, the most important thing is finding your customers and connecting with them.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing Samantha @AvaKitsch
I’m going to make a nice cup of tea and have a read :blush:

Karen

1 Like

Glad to help Karen. Another really good website is Social Media Examiner, loads of helpful tips and how to use different social media platforms.

1 Like

This is great, thanks for sharing. Think I need to sit and have a think, and move away from my (very) stop-start approach!

I struggle to be consistent on social media. I’m going to make more effort and maybe come up with a rota to remind myself of where I am with promotion.
I use Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Google+
My favourite is Instagram as I feel more of a connection with people there. Facebook which I thought would be great is turning out to be a major flop. I’m lucky if a handful of people see the posts.
This really is a topic that I spend such a lot of time on. I really want to crack this promotion lark. At the moment I spend more time doing that than creating the goodies for my shop.

Thanks again for sharing.

Karen

2 Likes

I’m still struggling to make time to blog but using hootsuite is helping me get into a better routine with the rest of my social media.

I’ve often thought of starting a blog. I really want to make some tutorials and a mix of what I like etc.
I just don’t know where to start. It’s like writers block. I see that blank page with the flashing prompt to start typing and my head goes completely blank.
I don’t think blogging is going to come easily to me :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this @AvaKitsch, I’m a bit of a “peaks and troughs” person when it comes to social media, so I’m hoping the article will prompt me to sort things out and get a routine going.

Elaine

@elliestreasures I was like that for ages, it is only this year that I am trying to get more organised, I felt like I was wasting a lot of time. I will randomly tweet but I ensure that 5 tweets are scheduled for everyday of the week, I spend a couple of hours across the weekend and have a spreadsheet list of topics I want to tweet about that I think will attract my customers. I have seen a difference in my traffic and engagement on Twitter which is the channel I focus on the most.

@karenscraftybitz I blogged loads in the first year of my business, mostly sharing photos, the second year I just forgot about it as I tried to set up my own website. I do struggle with blogging, I find it a bit too time consuming.
This tool is great fun though, if nothing else it is a bit of a giggle some of the titles it comes out with but it does sometimes give some good ideas.

http://www.portent.com/tools/title-maker

Look at blogs you like, what would interest you? I fyou are looking at tutorials what do you like and what do find frustrating. Just give it a go, nothing ventured nothing gained.

1 Like

Making a list of topics to chat about is a great idea Samantha @AvaKitsch - I often think of things when I’m no where near a computer to get it out there.

1 Like

When I find things I want to share later, it might be a blog or tutorial that I think others might like I add it to pocket, it is a great app but you can add it to your web browser too. Really useful timesaver, I can come back to it at the weekend and I’ve got loads of stuff ready to share, it lets you add tags so you can keep everything organised by topic.

2 Likes

Thank you for all your comments on this topic. It’s really useful, and certainly given me some new ideas to try. Good luck everyone!!

Sara

1 Like