CALLING ALL SELLERS: You can now enable your shop to take card payments!

I need to ask about Buyer and Seller protection?

I also need to consider will they suddenly hike up their fees once with them?

Also would I require internet banking in order to keep track of any payments ie delays in reaching my bank account any other dispencies. I don’t have internet banking and would rather not have internet banking.

2 Likes

Hope you haven’t gone home yet ??? @dougfolksy .
ha! Well , I just tried to sign up but got this !!! …

'We’re sorry, but we couldn’t connect your Folksy account to to Stripe.

The reason for this is because the security token on the connection attempt did not match the security token set on your Folksy account.

If you are seeing this message after an attempt to connect your account, then it’s probably fine, and a bug that we need to fix on our end. Please let support know about the problem and they’ll look to get it fixed for you.

If you’re seeing this message at random, then please still let support know so we can investigate why and make sure that nothing untoward is happening. ’

Security token !!?? Any suggestions please ?? They ask you to create a strong password with lowercase, uppercase , numbers etc . I don’t want it the same as my Folksy one :confused: what am I missing ?? I tend to abandon something if it’s not in plain English !!! Ali

1 Like

I just read on Stripe website that there is no phone support. They are encouraging us to contact them by email. It’s also great to see the online chat for quick answers, but of course we do not share sensitive information there. Sometimes, it is easier and quicker to get help while speaking to someone. Then it’s the time difference with us here in the UK.

Has anyone created an account with Strpe and needed to contact them? How did that go?

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dougfolksy You said above: the advantages of sellers enabling card payments will only take effect in those baskets where every seller has connected with Stripe

Say a customer wants to use their CC to purchase from Folksy sellers. At Checkout, will they see what shops accept what payment methods?

If yes…can’t they use their credit card and make one purchase from ALL shops even though one shop uses only PP? Other than the fact that PP has a limit for using their Guest Checkout, what other issues will arise?

If the customer can’t purchase all items at once, what happens to the item from the PP only shop? Will it stay in the basket? Will it be easy for the customer to continue purchasing the last item (from the PP only shop)?

Just checking how baskets look like at Checkout…

(edited for typos)

1 Like

@AliDufty

Hmm. That error gets raised by some extra token-based protection I put around the call to connect to Stripe. I wonder if you’ve maybe had the link open for a while before actually completing the connection? Or maybe you were just unlucky with timing and that’s revealed a bug where one token expires just as you need it. Could you let me know what happened and I’ll have a look through the code to figure it out? Does trying again work, now, btw? I think it should.

@BelaFarCrafts

Say a customer wants to use their CC to purchase from Folksy sellers. At Checkout, will they see what shops accept what payment methods?

At the moment, no. The buyer will see the option to pay by card or pay by PayPal only if all sellers in the basket have connected their Folksy accounts to Stripe accounts. If one of the sellers in the basket haven’t connected to Stripe, then all the buyer will see is the option to checkout with PayPal.

It may be that we need to think more about this, but we want to see how much of an issue it will be before committing to potentially big reworks of the basket pages. And we’d need to put a lot of thought into possibly splitting baskets where one seller doesn’t support payment by card as making buying items more difficult for customers really does go against the grain.

We will be tracking how often a basket is limited by non-connected sellers, so we should be generating the data to both tell us if we need to look more at this and help decide what to do about it if we do.

1 Like

@AliDufty

Oh, and… Home? What is this “Home” of which you speak? :grin:

3 Likes

Lets say a customer has paid for their item using Stripe, and Folksy have taken their fees. Then the customer decides to return the item. Is there a clever bit of code that refunds the Folksy fees into the Stripe account so I can refund the customer?

Will there be a simple spreadsheet download of all these transaction details so my poor accountant doesn’t have a breakdown?

I would much prefer one bill at the end of the month really.

1 Like

I contacted them by email and had a same day full response, confirming that I can set my customer profile notifications - ie choose what they see.

There are a number of pertinent questions, I look forward to seeing how those are resolved (eg the basket issue where only some shops have signed up for CC), but I hope to see this succeed, I think customers appreciate the choice.

It’s good that people are raising specific concerns though, it will help the support team.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually I’m thrilled that Folksy are now linking with stripe. I have an account already for a website I previously had. In my E*** shop I actually get many more payments with credit card than paypal, so I think this will be a really great update.
It is linked to my bank account so if someone buys something it can go into my bank account - same as paypal really.
After having problems several years ago with paypal, I honestly trust my credit card more.

1 Like

I think you can just leave the phone number part blank

1 Like

I interpreted the Folksy fee bit as the fees were deducted before Stripe did their calculation of percentage owed to them so Stripe would not be charged on the Folksy fee element ?. That was possibly wrong but if not I agree…
but does that therefore mean that the bill I pay at the start of the month is only for those orders paid via Paypal and how on earth would the ongoing month’s bill show that the Stripe elements are already paid. ?
I use my ongoing figure as a check on how well I’m doing that month compared to previous months and years.

I’m happy for customers to have my phone number and it is printed on my business cards which go out with each purchase but not my mobile. I might try it with my land line number and see if it will accept that.

Hi, I’m new here (old-ish really, but not listed anything for years!), but I have just set it up as I’ve used similar things elsewhere. But I was wondering if there is anywhere on Stripe’s dashboard or on our dashboards here that we can specify how long payments take? I know on another system I use, if you don’t specify, it defaults to payments taking a week or so. Also, when do you think it will go live? Thanks :slight_smile: @dougfolksy

Now that is not good. So there not based here and there’s no phone support even paypal has phone support.

I also see this as a positive move. I’ve known about Stripe for a while, have read reports and am as confident as I can be that they are a serious and trustworthy setup. Also, I believe there are many buyers with a aversion to PP and others who have struggled with it. So not having to go down that route will probably be good for them.
Lower commission? Can’t be bad ;-).
I just set up my account. Was very straightforward. Under ‘Business Settings’ removing my mobile number was done in no time at all. The default setting for payments is ‘daily’.
So good news allround for me. Thank You Folksy!
Mecki :slight_smile:

6 Likes

But what about seller and buyer protection

The fact it’s not instant

The fact there’s no phone support

The fact it’s not based here so there’s a huge time difference as it’s based in America?

What about differences in the way we require accounting information?

Will there be issues of currency conversion?

Sorry not happy at least use a UK /EU based company. And one that has phone support

@rosesworkshop

Lets say a customer has paid for their item using Stripe, and Folksy have taken their fees. Then the customer decides to return the item. Is there a clever bit of code that refunds the Folksy fees into the Stripe account so I can refund the customer?

That’s a really good question! The answer is that no, at the moment there’s no clever code around this and we’ll have to resolve refunding any issues with Folksy fees through support, as we do for similar issues, now. But once we’ve been up and running with Stripe for a while, we’ll have a much better idea of how to automate those refunds, and will be putting the clever code in place then.

Will there be a simple spreadsheet download of all these transaction details so my poor accountant doesn’t have a breakdown?

I would much prefer one bill at the end of the month really.

That’s one of the things I’m working on at this very moment. The plan is to have things not too different to how they are now. There will still be a monthly breakdown of fees, including fees for sales through Stripe (plus VAT), and outstanding fees will be pretty much the same, it’ll just be altered slightly to indicate what has and has not already been paid.

@JOYSofGLASS

I interpreted the Folksy fee bit as the fees were deducted before Stripe did their calculation of percentage owed to them so Stripe would not be charged on the Folksy fee element ?. That was possibly wrong but if not I agree…

Yes, that’s right – it’s pretty much the same as with PayPal. The Stripe fees are calculated from and deducted from the total amount of the sale, and Folksy’s commission is calculated from and deducted from the total amount of the sale. The Stripe fees are not calculated on the total amount of the sale + Folksy’s commission.

but does that therefore mean that the bill I pay at the start of the month is only for those orders paid via Paypal and how on earth would the ongoing month’s bill show that the Stripe elements are already paid. ?
I use my ongoing figure as a check on how well I’m doing that month compared to previous months and years.

The idea is to show it pretty similarly to how it is shown now, all grouped together. It’s a work-in-progress, but the idea is that all the sales and VAT information should be browseable together, grouped under months, as now.

@Chep

I was wondering if there is anywhere on Stripe’s dashboard or on our dashboards here that we can specify how long payments take?

There is indeed. I’m not sure what it defaults to off the top of my head, although somebody in the thread above mentioned it defaults to 1 day, which is just lovely. But even if it isn’t, it can be set to that. In fact I’m about to quote that very person…

@ZANandME

I just set up my account. Was very straightforward. Under ‘Business Settings’ removing my mobile number was done in no time at all.

Brilliant, that’s really good to hear. I haven’t forgotten that I’ve promised to get Stripe’s response on this question, too, by the way – it’s on my TODO list!

The default setting for payments is ‘daily’.

Also brilliant – thanks for confirming that.

Thanks again for the continued feedback – I’ll check in again later on to see if there’s anything I’ve missed or misunderstood.
Cheers,
Doug.

2 Likes

Please go look at E… forums and see the problems that non USA members have with trying to deal with Stripe. Delays are common, no support whatsoever.

Sorry I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

I have been looking Stripe up on line and have seen a post stating that Stripe charge $15 charge back fee when refunding? Is this correct?