Change of shop direction?

Hi everyone, its been a long time since i’ve been on here but always pop back now and again to see how everyone is doing :smile:

I’ve had a shop here for several years selling greetings cards and have really enjoyed it, but recently i’ve concentrated more on my design skills (i’m a graphic designer/illustrator) and was thinking of offering my design services via my shop.

I know the importance of branding on Folksy, especially when it comes to how a shop looks and on social media, so was wondering if things such as shop banners, logos and icons would be needed for future or current shops here? I’ve done graphics professionally through freelance and have really enjoyed it :blush:

In any case, i’m planning on coming back to Folksy more in the New Year as i’ve really missed the supportive atmosphere, but would love to hear your thoughts and best wishes for Christmas!

Leanne x x

Hi Leanne, I remember you back in the days of the old forum, your shop is looking good, I love the soft colours you’re using. I think people always have need of professionally made banners, branding etc so it’s worth giving it a go. Look forward to seeing you about.
Best wishes x

Hello Leanne. Your shop is gorgeous and its obvious you have a great sense of colour and are very good at your job. I have 2 answers to your question :wink:

I think you should follow your passion - if you enjoyed making stationery but now find what you really love is designing and you would really enjoy sharing your talents and skills with others to help them with their branding then do that.

I think there will be a demand for it on Folksy - just looking at the forums there are always people seeking help and advice on this - mainly in respect to the way their shop looks. I think there will be an element of ‘education’ in this too.

For example when I started out I didn’t have a clue about branding - in my head it was more the idea of how my shop looked. It is only the last few years that I have made sure that my banner is consistent across all my online presence e.g. Shop, Blog, Flickr, Twitter etc. However, I never actually thought of this as my branding - just trying to get the look right.

To be honest I’m still not 100% sure about my branding so maybe I could do with a bit of refinement to clarify my ideas - so I could need help too :wink:

Maybe you could offer a number of different options - e.g. one for complete beginners and one for people who have made a start on their branding and just need a final push or a bit of refinement on it?

Thank you both for your advice, I think I will start some planning and get some ideas together. I love the different options idea, i’m thinking of offering social media graphics as well as banners, logos and packages combining a couple of options so people can taylor it to their business. The joy of graphics is not knowing what people will want and making something different every time, so i’m looking forward to (hopefully!) working with a variety of shops! :wink:

1 Like

Hi Leanne,
Great to see you on the forums again! I’m sure lots of people on Folksy would like help with their branding sounds like an exciting new venture - Good Luck!

Thanks Emma, it’s good to be back! Can’t wait to get started!