Checklist to reduce cart abandonment

Thank you Camilla, I definately need to leave postage as an extra cost on my high end items and pleased to see it doesn’t make a significant difference on those orders so thank you for sharing the statistics with me.
I always send these items tracked and signed with compensation cover, I think it gives peace of mind to both the seller and buyer. I list as 2nd class but if there is a way we can offer an upgrade to 1st class (should a customer require it), I think that would be helpful. I do normally post the same day or within 24 hours.

@millyandpip…My items, i.e. bears and dolls are anywhere from £60 and normally around £70 plus so on that value a £4 additional postage charge for a bear or £6 on a large doll doesn’t seem to put a customer off buying. :blush:

That’s good to hear. Have your sales picked up then since we chatted in the clubhouse?

1 Like

Hi Ali, i havn’t had a huge number of sales on Folksy but have sold some pincushion sets recently, I’m hoping to add some new things next year, thought I would try some smaller dolls etc before I throw the towel in. I will reduce the number of bears I make as everyone local has bought over and over so it’s time for a change. I have a few customers that make it very difficult to stop trading for, those who have bought bears because they have troubles and illnesses make me feel so guilty for wanting to stop and chatting in the clubhouse, listening to what you all advised also made me rethink everything so I am giving it some more time…thank you for your help :slight_smile: @millyandpip

Continuing the discussion from Checklist to reduce cart abandonment:
Hi Camilla, Re. cart abandonment…Thanks for mentioning this !..
When I first opened my Folksy shop earlier this year I didn’t realise that I had to enter a zero in the ‘additional items’ column of the postal charges table, rather than simply leaving the column blank as I did. This had the effect of adding excess charges for multiple items and would obviously deter customers. It was only because one kind customer contacted me to alert me to the multiple charges that made me realise this error, which is a simple one to make. The other thing I’ve noticed is that when you remove an item from the cart and then click to ‘continue shopping’, it takes you out of the shop and into the general folksy site which could lose that shop subsequent sales. One other thing, for those of us self-checking how the additional charges are functioning when added onto the checkout ‘edited variants’, adding an item to the cart and then having to remove it again is the only way to view how the additional charges are showing up; I know this might be a drop in the ocean but if lots of us are doing this to test our item charges, especially following new listings, it could all add up and look like customer cart abandonment…just a thought! Thanks,:sunflower:

1 Like

Wow I didn’t realise that leaving the additional items postage cost blank resulted in shoppers being charged extra postage! - been ages since I’ve had the time to really focus on my shop so I’ll need to go look at this. Thank you for pointing it out Christine.

Unless I’m missing something, it would be really helpful if I could click into editing items directly from my store / search for them by name instead of having to scroll through all my listings to find them. Would make it much quicker to make a change when I spot something that needs fixing - just a wee suggestion Folksy :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can bulk edit postage through your dashboard, makes it loads easier :slight_smile:

Hi Sarah, thank you. Yes I think I used bulk edit when postal rate increased. Though would also be good to be able to click straight through to edit, as when I spot something needing changed on an individual listing in my shop it takes me ages to find it via the listings tab - might be a sign I need to edit the amount of stuff my shop and focus :slight_smile:

You can do that too, well I can on the pc and iPad :slight_smile:
Is this what you mean?

Blimey, never realised that was there. I really do need to pay more attention. Thank you so much for pointing this out. Life changing! Appreciated x

2 Likes

@folksycontent hi camilla, i had someone contact me through instagram today - she thought she’d bought something from me a couple of weeks ago, and thought it weird i’d not responded / she’d had no emails.

by fluke i bought something today and aaaalmost missed the last bit of checkout process where paypal redirects us to folksy to “confirm and pay”
(is that new-ish? it’s been a while since i’ve bought stuff)

anyway, it turns out that’s what she had done - thought she’d completed checkout inside paypal, but never did the last bit on folksy.

so maybe that’s no.4?
(at least it was not my postage, 24 hours posting times or lack of stripe :wink:)

1 Like

Yes could well be. It’s been like that for a few years now, although I think it’s only like that if you check out as a guest on Paypal and not with Paypal account. It’s really not ideal and not how we would have designed it so we tried to make it as clear as possible that you need to confirm your order, but it’s the way the Paypal system works. We’ll review the whole process again in the new year and see what we can do to improve it!

3 Likes

Camilla, it’s like that if you have a PayPal account too. I make a lot of purchases on Folksy using my PayPal account and I always have to confirm my purchase on Folksy at the end. I do think it’s fairly clear though.

1 Like

I must admit the extra on additional items always confuse me. I lost out on postage to the U. S. recently because I got it wrong. Must go through all my listings and make sure they are correct. Thanks for pointing this out.

well that’s pretty typical of me not to have noticed :rofl:

yeah, @PocketfulCreations - me too, i was definitely paying from paypal balance not as a guest.

to be fair, most times i buy online it does that, redirect & redirect again, so i do look out for it - perhaps other people are missing it though.

oh well, at least there are so many ways for customers to get hold of us now on social medias, they can chase it up :grin: x

1 Like

Having made some recent purchases on Folksy myself, I chose to pay by Stripe rather than with Paypal. I was impressed at how quick and easy it was. It seemed less clunky than using Paypal. I’m not saying that Paypal should be eradicated as an option, but perhaps Stripe could be promoted a bit more for buyers.

I have to admit that high postage costs can put me off buying a product. Many a time I’ll be happily filling a basket only to discover the final posting costs are astronomical, so I’ll abandon it. Not so far on Folksy, but on Etsy and Amazon and Ebay. What really pisses me off is when I’m charged a certain amount for postage only to see that the postage on the package is half the price.

2 Likes

I also don’t have an issue with additional shipping costs, rather than ‘‘free’’ postage.
To be honest, I’m sometimes put off by free shipping as - maybe unfairly - I think the seller may skimp on packaging if postage is included in the item cost.

Sarah x

1 Like

True, but it’s not just postage costs, it’s packaging aswell.

1 Like

I will look for free postage on things that are widely available ( I’ll always compare prices with and without postage on eBay, for example) but with the type of exclusive things we sell on Folksy, you either want it or you don’t. It won’t be available elsewhere cheaper… As long as it’s not excessive, it wouldn’t make a difference to me…

2 Likes