Christmas crafting presents - what did you get?

I know we should probably buy all our supplies and equipment ourselves and not receive them as gifts so that we can offset them against tax but sometimes there are things you would like that you just can’t justify buying and its so exciting to receive them as gifts.

What super crafting goodies did you get and what are your plans for them? I got a wool dying kit - can’t wait to have a go at trying some dying/painting - I have so many ideas but will have to wait and see if any of them work!

6 Likes

Lots of painting supplies which was a nice surprise.

3 Likes

A bag book, fabric, ruffiler foot for my machine and a cute Mexican silver thimble. Well pleased.

3 Likes

£30 Range vouchers, to be spent entirely in their craft dept.
Also, Boxing day, and woke to a 3 item sale from a returning customer!! #happycrafter #greatpresent

4 Likes

JM vouchers towards my next course, probably pearl knotting, survival kit for winter stalls including thermal socks, decent hat as my Christmas tree one will have to go away for next year and fingerless thermal gloves that convert to mittens and a flat folding ladder self display unit, very pleased :christmas_tree::+1:t2::grinning:

4 Likes

I didn’t get anything apart from a mini colouring book from my Mum - wah :frowning_face:

Quick question (sorry to hijack the thread) but can you claim doing an art course, even if it’s not directly related to your current business, on your expenses?
I’ve always fancied studying a printmaking course or a silversmithing course which would then possibly be integrated into the work I’m doing now but I didn’t know whether they would be tax deductable.

If you are doing it for work related reasons and can show that you at least tried (even if you failed) to integrate it into your work then I don’t see why not.

Now there is a slippery slope! :sweat_smile: I’d be off doing courses every week! Well until the bumpette is born that is…

I had lots of new tools :wink: an oval bangle mandrel, a stake for making anticlastic bangles, tweezers, sanding blocks and clamps :slight_smile: been playing all day seeing as we didn’t have any visitors today and I’m in work tomorrow.

I did a silver course earlier this year and claimed against tax, it’s relevant training.

Lookng forward to seeing the dyed wool Roz @OrchardFelts

2 Likes

I had a silver smithing book which i wanted after doing a course in July have only been practising with copper at the moment but have had quite a few pennies to buy other tools i want

2 Likes

A friend who knows me really well got me some cute little thread snips (new to me and I love them), Pom Pom makers and fat quarters - I just love getting a crafty present :grinning:

2 Likes

I had a set of Tunisian crochet hooks as it is something I have wanted to try for a while. I had a go today.

2 Likes

@aquilacrafts, ooh thread snips, the most useful little tool I own! I love them! A wise friend you have😃

1 Like

Hi! Hope you all had a great Christmas, I’m probably a bit late answering this one, but my partner gives me money at Christmas, which I generally spend on clay, glazes and other crafting goodies, this floats my boat! xx

1 Like

I got a wire wrapping peg jig whoopee, I have been wrapping like mad and it really got the creative juices going. I just have to make the items sell-able now. Hoping for a more successful 2018.

1 Like