Christmas rush?

Goodness, that’s quite grim response to what seemed like a few fairly innocuous suggestions.

Forums are for discussing all sorts of matters. It’s perfectly reasonable for other sellers to come with their concerns about slow periods or the like (and ideas on how to right those issues), it doesn’t have to be all butterflies and roses. I’m not sure that labelling those discussions as moaning is a very constructive sort of rejoinder.

It might be worth bearing in mind that there are many other ways for sellers to project a negative image in the forums …

6 Likes

Well, that told us! Personally, my product is more than “good enough” thanks, and I sell lots of things at craft fairs where you can engage face to face with customers. As for moaning, I thought the whole idea of a forum was to air views whatever those views might be, not to put up some happy clappy front pretending all is fabulous in the land of commerce. You’re doing well and your very proud of yourself - well good for you, but some of us are not too proud to admit that things could be better and that Folksy as a company has to bear some of the responsibility for our well being. After all, they are happy to take our money and it can only be good for them to have busy, successful shops because the more we make money the more money they make.
If Etsy, Ebay, Handmade@Amazon etc don’t consider themselves too big to need to advertise then I cannot see why Folksy don’t follow suit.
As for moaning dragging down the atmosphere, feel free not to read and carry on living in your own little bubble, but remember, success can be fleeting and looking down on others from a great height is often followed by a fall.

4 Likes

Back to the original point of this thread and how to encourage a christmas rush (or spread it out to something more manageable). I sometimes get flurries of orders when I remind people of last posting dates and so when they need to order from me by. Bit early for that yet but the last posting date for economy services to new zealand/ australia/ caribbean/ central and latin america/ africa is the 28th September! (don’t worry the airmail dates are all in December but eastern europe is 7th Dec which is earlier than people necessarily think it will be). You could use that as a humourous way to at least get people thinking about Christmas shopping.

2 Likes

At risk of being shot down in flames, I have always felt that Folksy should do some general advertising, so that potential customers are aware of the site. Lots of non crafters have never heard of it.
It is of course up to us to try to drive customers to our own particular shops.
And yes the more we sell, the more money that Folksy makes, so it would be win win all round.

4 Likes

Good point, well made!

1 Like

I just think Folksy haven’t got the finances to advertise so much, they are a British only selling forum which I think is great. The others that do advertise such as E… which is world wide and have so many more sellers and NOTHS which charge very very high fees so they can afford the advertising. I also sell on E… but my sales are far higher here and I also find Folksy much easier to navigate and friendlier.

When I first started selling on the Dark Side, nobody in Britain had heard of it and I hardly sold anything there, but after a few years it got better known so with any luck Folksy will too. :smile:

1 Like

I only sell on hear and the odd craft fair I used to have a shop on e…y but found my sales were more hear, and I only sell now in UK and Europe.

1 Like

@moondaisies I deleted my replies as I didn’t want to get into a slanging match like they do on the other site, as I was offended by the reply, understandability. This isn’t the first time this has happened on here with the same topic and I shall in future keep my opinions to myself, I thought it rude and pretty tackless.

1 Like

I am so sorry, I had no idea feelings ran so high ( I’m pretty new here) and I thought it was an interesting debate with people who understand that things can be pretty tough for some of us who haven’t yet found a winning formula. I never intended to offend anyone but I do enjoy a frank discussion and you can’t really have that if you just want to defend the status quo. However, like you, think I’ll just keep it to myself from now on and if anyone says anything nasty about Folksy I shall stick my fingers in my ears and go “la la la”! :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think you offended anyone @moondaisies you said what I was thinking! Far play to you for being honest. It’s like we are not allowed an opinion!!!

1 Like

Is this forum not for airing opinions?

Big for you if you have sales but personally we should as makers and crafter’s be helping each other not getting into a slanging match. Giving advice when your fellow Folksy friends get down not kick them even more.

We all spend different amounds of time and effort on are makes and promotion everyone’s going to be different.

Our christmas rush has just begun. We were SO lucky in knowing someone with a venue that they gave us free of charge for a trial craft party for just our stuff. We advertised on fb and twitter and used their contact to invite ladies what lunch lol. We sold 42 items and had custom orders for 6 more things. Not a single sale on here though as yet. although i think i may have been here 3 months only now and still working on shop etc

Yes, this forum is for airing opinions - and I have a valid opinion too :smiley:

Also, it is Folksy’s forum - and I think it is rather rude to moan about them on their forum, a bit like going to someone’s party and complaining about the music, the food, the wrong guests etc while you are at their party…

I’m all for helping others - have given advice many times, replied when asked questions etc.

However, every so often, a little clique of people who seemingly do nothing but moan about Folksy appear. Everyone’s allowed a little moan now and then, but, as the saying goes ‘misery breeds company’. These sellers usually disappear after a while, after bringing down the mood of the forum, but sometimes a bit of honest speaking will give them the motivation to look at how they are selling, what they are saying, etc, and get a more positive attitude, and then things start looking up for them.

I know, I know - I’m a horrible person for sticking up for Folksy and daring to differ from the opinion of a few people on here, but heck, sometimes you need to stand up for what you think is right, even if you differ from ‘the mob’ :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice one Paul, I’ve found that doing craft events and making sure that you hand out plenty of business cards (especially with purchases) means that follow up purchases happen online (or via what ever method you put on your business cards) so hopefully soon your folksy shop will get its first order. Now that you have introduced the ladies who lunch to your brand I’d anticipate many follow up christmas present orders. I’m seeing my equivalent bunch of ‘ladies who lunch’ at the beginning of October…
Sasha

1 Like

Nice for you to reply

I like to stick up to Folksy as I love it here so I’m with you when people moan about it.

I know myself that me as a crafter and seller I don’t dedicate as much time as I would like so that is why I don’t get many sales.

Sometimes we all hit that wall and just need to knock it down.

Forum : A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:
eg. “we hope these pages act as a forum for debate”

5 Likes

Good to hear the pros and cons. I would like to say something if I’m allowed. I have just searched for some of my items on Google. I found nothing that directed me here firstly, secondly the item I searched for turned up on page 5 and directed me to my own site.
Numerous other items turned up, alas, not directed to here but to other places.
So, I suppose this is my fault?
Really pleased Google is ranking me, I must be getting good at it!

I cant say there has been any kind of rush for me over the last few years let alone and Xmas rush, but I like it here so Im staying.
I have a craft fair mid October, is it a reasonable time of year to take Xmas items or should I stick to all year round items?

I find that mid october is a bit early to start selling to much christmassy stuff but I am doing potential gift items and decorations might start selling earlier. Try putting a few items out and have more as back up in crates under the stall (if you have space to carry them) that way if it looks like people are thinking about christmas you can swap over what you have out.

1 Like