Customer email

I’ve just received a email regarding some Cufflinks a customer bought for xmas. She says within a day the top sections both fell of.she says she could glue them back on, but she’s scared of loosing them. Therefore she is asking me if I have any suggestions. I’m not quite sure what to say as I’ve never had this happen with these before. Should I just offer a full refund?

I would ask her if she would like a replacement pair of earrings or a full refund.

Sorry, meant to say cufflinks.

I’d ask her to return them (offer to pay the postage for this) so that you can investigate the issue and ask her if she would like a replacement or a refund.

4 Likes

I use E6000 and have started buying it in tiny ‘batch’ sized tubes for my fused glass jewellery as it seems that it does ‘go off’ once opened.While the first couple of batches I stick might be all fine, subsequent batches are more likely to come apart.
I would immediately send a replacement pair and ask her to also glue the first pair herself.

Can you ask her to send you a photo so you can see as then maybe you can work out why it’s failed ie for quality control. Then offer to either refund or if she’d like another pair and you have the parts to make another pair.

Always good practise to either get photo’s of damage or pay to have them returned so can see what went wrong and work out how to make a item stronger for next time.

1 Like

Yes, I now buy tiny tubes of E6000 as well. Potential problems with fixings are a nightmare.
I would offer a replacement or refund.

2 Likes

I agree with @EileensCraftStudio and @millyandpip . You need to see what went wrong with the product before you do anything. If you jump straight into sending a new pair of cufflinks or giving a refund then it may seem from the customers point of view that you knew the product was faulty and expected it to break.

You firstly need to reassure them that you are going to resolve the issue for them however firstly you need to assess what has happened so that you can ensure that it doesn’t happen again. The worst thing is for you to send the replacement cufflinks and then they break again.

The most important thing is that you reply to the customer quickly, and give them reassurance that you will sort it out and not to worry.

2 Likes

But we must all be aware that glue is glue and that sometimes it fails. For every 50 pendants I stick 100% securely, one will for no obvious reason become unstuck. If the customer who receives that unstuck pendant is asked to produce proof she will not only not buy from me again, she will also tell her friends and they won’t buy from me either.
I don’t need proof the pendant is unstuck. Broken is broken and needs fixing.

A couple of months ago at a market I do 4 times a year, a lady came up to me and said
"do you remember me ? I bought a pendant off you a year ago".
As she reached into her bag I knew exactly what the problem was and replied
" Oh dear, has it come unstuck ? That does happen occasionally even though I use the very best glue. Give me your address, leave the pendant with me and I’ll fix it and send it back to you"…
Ok it cost me the postage but that customer was at a WI event with 149 other ladies of a certain age any one of whom could have bought a pendant off me (and a lot of them had and did).

I could of course have said “Well you’ve had it a year what did you expect, it was only £4” or “why didn’t you try a bit of super glue” (slightly tempted with that one) but customer satisfaction is a very, very important factor in the selling process.
and… after all… if the offending unstuck item/s had been brought from Amazon the customer would not have had to send a photo, she would have sent them straight back for a refund and or replacement, no questions asked.
You only need one published negative feedback to undo 100 positive ones.

5 Likes

Yes, in this case. I would just ask the customer to return it, no questions asked, so that the seller can have a look at it to see if there is anything that can be done to stop it happening in the future (you never know there might be) and I would offer a refund, or a replacement, or offer to fix the original. I would offer all these solutions to the customer at the same time as asking her to return it, so that the customer can be assured that whatever the outcome of the investigation, the customer will not be out of pocket in anyway.

I think you’ve had good advice on here. You may already know this but sometimes you need to scratch the surface of the metal part before adding the glue, as this helps give the glue something rough to stick to and makes the connection stronger.

2 Likes

I agree with @JOYSofGLASS I wouldn’t mess around to see why the item broke, the customer bought an item in good faith, and for good customer service I would fully refund or a replacement.

1 Like

Help.
Can anyone tell me where they are currently getting supplies of small tubes of E6000.
Couldn’t find any on Amazon when I bought some a month ago so went via Ebay. I think it is counterfeit, not the proper USA strong stuff. It runs out of the tube and goes everywhere.
I stuck 6 pendants a month ago, left 3 at home and took 3 to India with me. Well not quite. First had come apart before it got into my travel jewellery bag. The other two came apart when I was wearing them. I tried again when I got home with another dozen. After 48 hours the bails were still moveable so I pulled them off, well slid really, washed them to remove any remaining sticky and can only conclude it was Not E6000.
I’ve been using it for years. I know how to use it. I put a bit on the bails and also on the pendants, about 10 at a time and then they’re ready to stick together. After about an hour I tweak the bails to make sure they’re straight and again an hour later. I then leave them for the night and next day they’re solid. That is proper, genuine E6000.
Where on earth do i get some more ?

Joy - if you can condense that into a tweet I will retweet it for you - with 50K crafty followers someone must be using it :slight_smile:

Thanks I’ve tweeted you.
I sold 6 pairs of earrings on Tuesday and want to make more but impossible without proper sticky glue !
Bob just spent half an hour comparing the tubes of the good old stuff and new rubbish, with a magnifying glass as the writing is tiny And white ! :rofl:.

1 Like