Cut to size foam advice please

Help please.
I’m about to make a window seat for my daughter who has just moved house and has an enormously long window.
3110mm (I’ll make that 3 metres, I’m not working in millimetres).
31cm deep and I’m just going 5cm high as the table is not very tall and we want legs to be able to fit underneath.

I’ve made a few cushions before but always thicker 3 or 4 inches and never anything as long as this. I’ve usually bought a lump of foam from Dunelm, covered it in old sheeting and gone from there.

I’ve realised I can instead buy on line (saves me driving 10 miles to dunelm) and have it cut to exact size and also ready covered in stockinette.

So wonder if anyone can advise on a good cut to measure foam stockist for me.

I’ve phoned one who said the foam would be cut in 2 lengths of 1.5m which I will just put together in my cover which makes sense as I couldn’t imagine a single piece of 3 metres. but will that be ok in a single cover or will it go squidgy in the middle / be better as 2 separate cushions or even 3 of 1 metre each ?

Also do I go for firm or extra firm as it is only going to be 5 cm thick.

Any thoughts would be most welcome as the fabric I will be using for the cover is expensive and I don’t want to mess it up.

When I needed foam of a specific size and density for dining chair pads, I did a google search. Lots of companies out there who supply exactly what you want, including excellent online advice, so I’m unsure why you haven’t found the information you’re looking for.

This is the company I used: www.efoam.co.uk

I personally wouldn’t consider making a cover of this length - it would be a nightmare to get the foam into and out of it, even when covered with stockinette. If it was my project, I’d be considering two or possibly three separate cushions.

Try searching for caravan upholstery too - I once found a site that did good quality foam cushions that way, but sadly don’t still have the details.

Hell Joy
I’ve re-covered caravan bench seats that approach that length and can confirm its like wrestling with a dead pig.
I would def go for 2-3 individual pads and buttoning if you can. We had a similar problem with a slightly too low table and slightly too high chairs so gave the table some platform heels :wink:
Happy upholstering

Alison

Thank you all. @BaggieAggie Yes I have of course done a Google search and found several companies - I just wondered if someone had used one or another and could therefore recommend which one to use. Your Efoam link is the very one I spoke to this morning so thank you for that, I’ll go with them.

I will also go for the 3 * 1-metre cushions I think as that will save me having to have a pig fight - in fact as the table is in front of the window seat, it won’t be obvious that the cushions are split. I do need to make that decision before I order as otherwise it will be supplied as 2 * 1.5 even if I order 3m.

Wish me luck. I will post photos later (maybe much later !) xx

1 Like

I think I would also go with making three, easier if one needs cleaning. Have you thought about using a discretely placed, open end zippers to join them together to stop them from slipping about.
My friends recommends e foam, she said they were quick to deliver too.