Decent exercise around crafting?

Your bmi is about a third of mine though :blush:
At my age itā€™s hard to shift it- (not mentioning all the cheese and biscuits and wine)

2 Likes

Running after 4 children works for me!

2 Likes

Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m not that young, being 40 and all! With the diabetes I reckon I have to eat about 200 kcal less than the RDI for an average woman my age to keep my weight stable. Exercize has never made that much of a difference for me weight wise, but it does make me feel better!

Sam x

I run, go to the gym and cycle! Having lost 6 stone in the past 2 years and gone from a size 20 to a size 10 I know for me this is the key to keeping it off. I eat healthily too but the exercise is as much for metal health as physical. It takes about an hour out of my day but I would never go back to being sedentary now or feeling the need to hoover the fridge into my stomach! PS Iā€™m 47 and from not being able to run for 2 minutes this time last year I did the Great South Run in October (10 miles!) so itā€™s never too late!

9 Likes

Wow! Just wow Susan @dottiedesigns, Iā€™m so impressed thatā€™s amazing! So very well done chick! Being 48, I know just how bloominā€™ hard is is to shift weight (particularly the wonderful excess that comes with maturity to add padding to the crumbling bones :yum:)

Iā€™d heart your comment several times over if I could.

1 Like

Sarah, every diet should include wine.

In fact if itā€™s a case of food or wine, then Iā€™d just go hungry :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m a printmaker and spend a lot of time sat at the desk when designing and cutting. Then itā€™s a very physical process for printing. Mr P my Jack Russell keeps me fit as we walk twice a day, stomping around the fields.

I notice that sometimes within this thread, the initial question has been linked to weight loss and Iā€™m not sure that this was the intention of the original post.

1 Like

Thank you Annie @urbanfairy xx

As this is a hobby and not main income, I walk a least a couple of miles a day with my doggy walking! Keeps me active!

Exercise will make you fitter and healthier. But to lose weight you must combine it with a healthy diet. After being overweight but fairly fit all my adult life I started following @dottiedesigns on Instagramā€¦she inspired me to get it under control. I joined slimming world and have lost 2 stone since May. Thank you so much Susan - I donā€™t think you know how much you inspire!

4 Likes

Hi @ApplewoodStudios!
The original question was mainly about ā€˜getting up and moving vigorouslyā€™ in between the endless sitting on your bum or standing! Itā€™s interesting a couple of people mentioned mental well being. It wasnā€™t forefront of my mind when starting the topic but is definitely important. While I find the actual creating quite therapeutic, running a business is something else! And while sorting the kids might keep you a little more physically active, itā€™s stressful too!

Sadly we no longer have a dog (the cats arenā€™t really into chasing sticks :wink: would like to do a big move next year so wonā€™t be rescuing any more just yet.

Basically, I need to MAKE time to exercise (something I like, something for me) for both my physical health and sanity :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I canā€™t drive due to having epilepsy. I walk to the local village every morning, thereā€™s always something i need.
Its only 10 minutes away but a quick 20 minute walk everday certainly keeps my weight in control and gives me energy for the rest of the day :smile:

1 Like

I belonged to the gym round the corner for a decade- I gave up about 18 months ago because Iā€™d injured myself on most of the machines and I ended up just using the treadmill! So I thought ā€œWhy pay to walk?ā€ (I never ran- just canā€™t do it. Large bosom doesnā€™t help!) So now I walk up hills a couple of times a week and other times just walk everywhere (the carā€™s a bit neglected).

2 Likes

I visit all my local clients by bike - cycle out to show them potential stones and discuss design, cycle out again for a fitting and cycle out again to deliver the finished piece. One of my best customers lives 10 miles away! (up what we in cambridge call a hill but every where else would call a minor rise)
Today I just went out on the bike because the weather was nice and I was fed up with polishing something, this happens regularly over the summer less so in the winter months. (however we did do all the christmas fairs by bike last year with the stock in panniers/ crates on the back of the bike)

1 Like

Oh wow @ElizabethGaultJewellery that is amazing! Well done you & thank you for your kind words xx

1 Like

Re large busts. I bemoaned the fact I was a 34 aa for years, now Iā€™m a 38c and blimey they get in the way!

1 Like

With three springers to walk and no access to a car during the day I walk an awful lot - but still belong to the ā€œfat but fitā€ category and Sarah @plainprimitives I can so relate to being larger busted !
Susan @dottiedesigns well done you - big respect :smiley:

2 Likes

And I can relate with the springers and no access to a car most of the time Rachel, heā€™s nearly 13 but no-oneā€™s told him that when it comes to walks!

Sarah, dave dog is 16, monty is around 10 and Jess (not really a springer) is 12 :smiley:

1 Like

I agree with all that youā€™ve said, especially about the cats!!
I think running a business gives you some nervous energy too - Iā€™m sure that thinking must use calories.
I wear a fitness bracelet and it vibrates after 30 minutes of being sedentary. Thatā€™s good for me as my shoulders can get stiff from cutting the lino.

It is tricky, but I think youā€™re right that - it needs to form part of your routine, it just doesnā€™t always need to be in a gym.